4TB Drive Formatting

Hi,

New to the community and I’m just about to setup my new WD Live SMP.

I have a 4TB Seagate Drive in a Mediasonic (HD6-SU3S2) Smart Drive SuperSpeed 3.5" USB 3.0 & eSATA HDD enclosure.

I’ll be wiping and repartitioning the drive before I copy my media onto it, and my question is, which format should I perform on the drive that will work best with the WD Live SMP?

I’m on OSX, with a plugin that allows me to format in NTFS if need be.

Any help or suggestions would be very much appreciated.

Anyone? Is there any advantage of using HFS+ versus NTFS?

Other than it being the native Mac format? Problem is, WDTV does not support HFS+ with journaling which is the Mac default, right?

Thanks for taking the time to respond.

It is the Mac default, but I was under the impression that the WD Live SMP did support HFS?

In fact, because I wanted to get moving on setting my player up, I called WD support to ask them this question.  They told me that there would be no difference when using either of the file systems.

Not that I’m denying that you may be correct, but I’m having problems finding any doucmentation that supports your claim.

If it is indeed the case, I suppose my question is still relevant. Which format is best suited for my drive? HFS+ Non-Journaled? NTFS?

Thanks again.

Its the journaling bit that the WD player does not like. Its OK to use HFS+ but no journaling.

See page 203 & 205 of the manual.

This is really helpful, thank you to everyone who responded. I will either reformat the drive without journaling, or turn it off within Disc Utilty.

Hopefully you won’t hear from me again!