4MB/s Transfer Speed?

I’m sorry guys, i’ve read and tried everything except reformatting my drive because it takes me lots of time to move my files in.

Truth be told, i just bought my 3TB MyBookLive and upgraded to the latest FW. and yes like everyone else i’m also experincing the Remote Access issue. What’s more is I’m only have a 4MB/s transfer rate???

I’ve ruled out the WebDAV by following the steps, i’ve also unmapped the drive and re-mapped by IP, checked-i’m on Gbit port of my modem, my MyBookLive is connected directly to my modem. Alls done but i’m still having a 4MB/s transfer rate.

I’m running windows 7, no firewall except connection OUT to internet.

any assistance is appreaciated!

What were your speeds before the upgrade? First thing you may wanna try is turning off Remote Access. If that doesn’t work try the following…

If you are a more advanced user

• Download WinSCP
  • Enable SSH on the drive http://MyBookLive/UI/ssh
  • Start WinSCP
  • IP: IP of your drive or MyBookLive should also work
  • Username: root
  • Password: welc0me
  • First backup smb-global.conf located at /etc/samba/smb-global.conf by copying it to your computer
  • In WinSCP right click on smb-global.conf and select edit
  • REMOVE “max protocol = SMB2” from the bottom of the file and close and save the file
  • Reboot the MBL
  • This will drop the drive back to SMB

If after rebooting your drive you see the same speeds, open up WinSCP again and copy your backup smb-global.conf file over the modified one at /etc/samba and again reboot and you will be back to SMB2

I agree with this, did the update since last friday. Before the update, LAN speeds can go more than 4MB/s. After the latest update, the speed only goes to about 3-4MB/s.

What is worst, now with direct connect LAN to PC, I could not access the public shared folders except when using WinSCP (again, slow 4MB/s speed). Before the update, I used to access the shard folders through “Run”, “\(ipaddress)\public”, now I get errors:-

“IP_Address” is not setup to establish a connection on port “file and printer sharing (SMB)” with this computer

However, when I type my MBL IP on the browser, I can access the login into the dashboard. I just cannot access shared folders without WinSCP. When I connect MBL through WiFi, I can see the shared folders like normal.

Firmware Bug?

Plus I forgot to mention, Firewall is out of the question. It was definitely turned off at the time of testing

Nope, doesn’t work. Transfer speed dropped slightly to 3.95MB/s

Before was 5MB/s and After was tops 4.03MB/s

Did you try turning off remote access? I have seen a post or 2 which stated this fixed the issue for some folks.

Nada, still doesn’t work either. It hit 5 for a moment then drop to a 4 and back to a steady 3.88MB/s

Well hopefully WD sort this all out and do it fairly quickly… I thought I was in bad shape when my speeds dropped from around 46MB/s write to 35/MB/s write and 70MB/s read to 50MB/s read. I couldn’t imagine 4MB/s…

It’s terrible, really.

Just for sharing purposes, mind if you list all the steps on how to map a SMB folder? not sure if i did anything wrong.

In Windows 7 it’s as easy as…

• Start/Computer
  • Click in box at top where it says Computer and type \mybooklive
  • Right click on a shared folder and select Map network drive
  • Click Finish

Are those the speeds you were getting before the firmware update?

You say in your first post that the MBL is directly attached to your router.

What about your CLIENT?  (Your PC?)  Is it also wired?   Those speeds look more indicative of a WiFi connection, and 802.11g at that…

er… yea it’s over Wifi, but does it justify the drop to only 4MB/s?

Heck yeah, if your WiFi isn’t up to the job…

What WiFi equipment do you have?   What type of adapter is in your PC?

It’s a TP-Link Wifi dongle connected to a USB2.0 port.

I’m gonna test it out tonight between Wired and Wireless connection to try and narrow down the issue.

That’s not enough info.  What KIND of TP link is it?   A/B/G/N?  

It’s TP-Link model TL-WN727N, a wireless N USB Adaptor.

Tested with SpeedTest.net, seems like i’m able to achieve at least a 30Mbps down and a 30Mbps up. As such, the wireless adaptor shouldn’t be the cause of the slow transfer.

jakekoh wrote:

It’s TP-Link model TL-WN727N, a wireless N USB Adaptor.

Tested with SpeedTest.net, seems like i’m able to achieve at least a 30Mbps down and a 30Mbps up. As such, the wireless adaptor shouldn’t be the cause of the slow transfer.

30 Mbps is 30/8=3,75 MBps

and what is your Wireless Router?

I’m not using a router, I’m directly connected to the modem.

It’s a 2WIRE 5012NV.

Now i’m WIRED 100Mbps and yet my copying speed is still less than 4MB/s