4 of 4 drive failures on EX4 and faulty USB connectors

Just wanted to report a complete failure of a MyCloud EX4.

My EX4 worked for a week when I initially bought it. I found it slow and the user interface was clunky and unfriendly. Despite this, I persisted and loaded my data on. I found the remote access was useful when it worked.

After about a week, one of the drives failed. I was busy with other things so shut it down and procrastinated about getting it fixed.

Probably about 2 years have passed, maybe more, and I turned it on today to find that all 4 drives have failed.

So I just want to report that this ~$1000 device is a piece of overpriced junk.

Furthermore, I have found that WD external drives have some kind of problem with their USB connection. My wife and I each have a WD My Book Essential. Both have faulty USB connections. I also have a WD My Passport which has a faulty USB connection. Finally, my wife bought a WD My Passport Ultra and it failed on her after 2 days of use.

I think that we have given WD a fair go… probably more than a fair go. We will not be buying any more WD products and I’ll be telling anyone who asks that WD drives are faulty and they should buy a different brand.

While this is a very unfortunate situation, your unit may still be under warranty and able to be replaced for free. You can request an RMA in the following link:

On the other hand, perhaps it would be best to contact WD Support considering your multiple unit failures. There could be a common factor at play.

http://support.wdc.com/support/case.aspx?lang=en

Try to provide as many details as possible related to what has happened and what you have tried so far. WD Support may contact you if they need additional information.