3tb wont initialize

Hi there,

I just bout a WD30EZRX from newegg along with a GIGABYTE GA-H81M-HD3 motherboard with a SSD for windows.

I was able to successfully install windows on the SSD and now I want to use the WD drive for storage. However I’m running into some problems.

In windows Disk Management when I click on the disk to initialize I choose the GPT format and click ok but i get this error:

(The request could not be performed because of an I/O device error)

I’ve been doing alot of research to try and figure out why this is happening. I’ve downloaded WD datalifeguard tools and ran all the tests with no issues except that since the drive is not initialized i get a readout of 0 GB of storage on the drive.

I’ve gone to Gigabyte’s website and downloaded + installed the lastest motherboard drivers, as well as went to Intel’s website and got theirs as well. The only other option I can think of is that Windows is using the wrong driver to talk to the HDD. 

I also ran diskpart.exe in Windows 7 to see if I could do anything from there, but I get the same error message.

Could someone please help me to understand what I’m doing wrong? 

Download the free Acronis from WD, it can help setup a new drive for you.

If it won’t recognize it then there is a chance it’s DOA.

So I downloaded the Acronis tools and it can’t see my WD driver either. 

Got any other ideas? I really don’t wanna RMA if I don’t have to. I’ve always used WD drives for all my PC builds and I’ve never had any problems with them. 

Have you tried a different port or another cable? Although rare cables can sometimes be flaky.

How is your power connector to the drive, is it secure and non-damaged?

You can feel the drive if it’s powered by slight vibration, if it won’ t be seen then it’s an interface problem.

If you are within the 30 days most retailers, e-tailers will take it back and exchange it for you.

1 Like

Yeah I tried different ports and different SATA cables. But nothing’s changed. I know the drive is on cus I can hear a clicking noise when it tries to spin up (which is something i fear).

I think I’m gonna go ahead and RMA it through newegg. I really appreciate your help though! too bad more people couldn’t be as usefull as you sir! :slight_smile:

Thanks!