3TB and 2TB My Book Essential Unmounting in Sleep Mode in Mountain Lion (OS 10.8)

1. My upgrade path: 10.6 → 10.7 → 10.8

I’ve not yet upgraded to 10.8.1 on MBP  17". I will do so and report back later.

1. I’ll try doing that, if the upgrade to 10.8.1 fails to resolve the issue.

2. I’ll report back if I think of anything else. As of right now the drive stays connected since I adjusted my sleep settings to “Never”.

This is obviously not an isolated issue as several others have reported similar problem.

Upgraded to 10.8.1 and the problem persists.

I have the same problem it seems.

I had a 2TB Elements drive that worked fine for about 18 months then started to die, sent it back under warranty and got a 2TB MyBook in return. This however doesn’t work as well at all. Seemed fine atfirst but as described here unmounts itself and the only way I can get it to mount again is to disconnect and reconnect the USB cable. This is not a problem I’ve had with the old Elements model, and in fact I still have 4 Elements drives attached via the same USB hub and they work fine.

I’ve not installed the software that came with the drive - frankly I don’t see why I need to install software just to use a HD, I have a perfectly serviceable backup solution already and the installer interface is enough to make me shudder in bloatware-induced horror. It seems that isn’t making any difference here for those who have it installed anyway.

Sounds like a bug with the drive to me… do I wait for a fix or moan that the model I had returned under warrantly doesn’t match the original…?