3 week old WD10ears invisible

Hi all,

I bought the WD10EARS three weeks ago and installed it as a second hard drive.  It worked like a charm no problems.  I added my wife’s internal hard drive from her laptop that fried to get info off of it, and all three drives showed up fine.  I was able to get info off of my wife’s hard drive and still access the new WD I had in there.  After a couple of days, the WD just disappeared.  No noises, no glitching, it’s just gone.

I removed my wife’s old hard drive and rebooted but still gone. I switched it to a new bay and different cables, still gone.  Not seen by Windows 7 64bit or the BIOS.  Taking it out, it is slightly warm to the touch, so it seems to be getting power.

I would just simply send it back and get another but, like a fool, I trusted this new drive and moved, not copied, my 72 GB’s of music over to it.  I’d hate to have to spend a whole day ripping my CD’s back again.

Do I have any options?

Thanks in advance.

While it was connected and the Windows was running did you by chance check in Disk Management to see if it shows up in there?  If so, it may have gotten corrupted.  If not, then make sure to try a different port, or on another machine.  When you said it’s warm, did you feel any vibration to indicate it’s spinning?

Quote: "When you said it’s warm, did you feel any vibration to indicate it’s spinning?"

When I said it was warm that was right after turning the system off and pulling the drive out.  I haven’t felt it while the system was on. 

Quote: “While it was connected and the Windows was running did you by chance check in Disk Management to see if it shows up in there?

Yes I did.  It doesn’t show up there either.  (It DID show up there three weeks ago when I installed it, it just disappeared in the last few days)

Quote: "If not, then make sure to try a different port, or on another machine. "

I have tried a different port, still nothing.  Tomorrow I’m going to my son’s house to try it on his machine.  I assume if it doesn’t show there it’s a dead drive…   :frowning:

Thanks for the reply!

:smiley: