3 defective Caviar Black 1TB FAEX in a row?!

webraider wrote:

But thanks to all of you, you were a great help and I finally got the solution - that you HAVE to jumper the drive in order to work properly if the MoBo doesn’t natively support SATA3.

well we haven’t actually established that have we - we still don’t know if jumpering sets it to 3gb or 1.5gb, and at least on my mobo it just negotiates 3gb without the jumper.

my problems aren’t related to sata3 anyway as i had bad sectors on a couple of sata2 drives, not just the faex.

I hadn’t noticed that your drive isn’t jumpered - so then I stand at the beginning. But nevertheless we did figure out what causes the errors. It seems like this MoBo just can’t handle the drive without proper jumpering.

Still to prove whether jumpering it leads to Sata1 or 2 - but I’m not sure if I will unpack the excanged drive. Resell value would drop considerably :wink:

Edit: Another problem… *sigh* - My motherboard does (yet) not work with internal SATA 6.0 PCIe connector cards. Great, just GREAT!

sej7278 wrote:> we still don’t know if jumpering sets it to 3gb or 1.5gb

[deleted] read the thread with care, in post #19 you can see that we know that jumper limits the drive to 3Gbps, as it should. If you got 1.5Gbps, it’s either because you got SATA I controllers or something is definitely wrong with the drive, motherboard or OS.

qqqwerty blurted out this nonsense:

[deleted] read the thread with care, in post #19 you can see that we know that jumper limits the drive to 3Gbps, as it should. If you got 1.5Gbps, it’s either because you got SATA I controllers or something is definitely wrong with the drive, motherboard or OS.

[deleted]

if you read the thread carefully, its all just supposition, conflicting evidence and uncertainty.

if wdc are saying “refer to the label” then that means they are uncertain themselves.

i’d take that to mean its up to the luck of the draw of which factory/firmware your drive has, otherwise why wouldn’t they just say specifically on the product pages?

sej7278 wrote:> why wouldn’t they just say specifically on the product pages?

• *> They didn’t indicate it on the specification sheet because there’s 2 versions of the drives, 6Gbps and 3Gbps. In both cases the result of jumpering is different, therefore you should refer to the label of each drive for details.

Yes, it should limit it to SATA2 - that’s what is printed on the label. Just strange that their own support team says that there is no option to jumper it to SATA2:

“I have checked for you if there is another option to backward to SATA II.
Unfortunately, it is indeed only backward compatible to 1.5GB/s”

And I specifically told them what drive I have got: SATA 6.0, FAEX. But I still guess he was just wrong or mixed it up. Nevertheless, THIS drive does not work proper with THIS MoBo - we/I just don’t know if one of the components is faulty or if they are just not compatible.

Right now I’m trying to get feedback from ASUS and at the store where I bought the drive. If the manufacturer says “backwards compatible” then it has to be.

Last but not least they DID specify the jumper settings for SATA1-3 drives, but they did not make it any clearer. On one page they tell you to refer to the drives label - on the other one they state that 1.5Gb/s apply to all drives

( http://wdc.custhelp.com/cgi-bin/wdc.cfg/php/enduser/std_adp.php?p_faqid=981&p_created=1052339456&p_sid=R8TqvJ5k&p_accessibility=0&p_redirect=&p_srch=1&p_lva=&p_sp=cF9zcmNoPTEmcF9zb3J0X2J5PSZwX2dyaWRzb3J0PSZwX3Jvd19jbnQ9NzAsNzAmcF9wcm9kcz0yMjcsMjc5JnBfY2F0cz0xMjMmcF9wdj0yLjI3OSZwX2N2PTEuMTIzJnBfcGFnZT0x&p_li=&p_topview=1#satadesktopjump)

And I also agree that in the end it’s up to luck whether the drive works like you thought it would - and like it should. I can’t always read in forums for 3 months before buying a harddisk just because my 3 (?) year old MoBo doesn’t support the basic functions.

qqqwerty wrote:

• *> They didn’t indicate it on the specification sheet because there’s 2 versions of the drives, 6Gbps and 3Gbps. In both cases the result of jumpering is different, therefore you should refer to the label of each drive for details.

[deleted]

the 64mb/6g is WD1002FAEX and the the 32mb/3g is WD1001FALS

pretty sure they wouldn’t share a spec sheet, being completely different drives, they certainly have their own product pages:

http://www.wdc.com/en/products/products.asp?DriveID=792

http://www.wdc.com/en/products/products.asp?driveid=488

[deleted]

webraider wrote:

Last but not least they DID specify the jumper settings for SATA1-3 drives, but they did not make it any clearer. On one page they tell you to refer to the drives label - on the other one they state that 1.5Gb/s apply to all drives

( http://wdc.custhelp.com/cgi-bin/wdc.cfg/php/enduser/std_adp.php?p_faqid=981&p_created=1052339456&p_sid=R8TqvJ5k&p_accessibility=0&p_redirect=&p_srch=1&p_lva=&p_sp=cF9zcmNoPTEmcF9zb3J0X2J5PSZwX2dyaWRzb3J0PSZwX3Jvd19jbnQ9NzAsNzAmcF9wcm9kcz0yMjcsMjc5JnBfY2F0cz0xMjMmcF9wdj0yLjI3OSZwX2N2PTEuMTIzJnBfcGFnZT0x&p_li=&p_topview=1#satadesktopjump)

And I also agree that in the end it’s up to luck whether the drive works like you thought it would - and like it should.

You don’t have to be lucky to have a drive working like it should.

On the page you mentioned it is said: " Your drive’s label will (show) the exact jumper settings your drive supports." There’s a word missing, but the phrase is understandable. So both pages tell you about the same thing.

The picture is definitely outdated, and although the jumper positions are the same, the description refers to SATA II drives. That’s why it is said: “See the images below for examples of our most common jumper settings.” Obviously recently released SATA III WD1002FAEX drives should not be considered as most common.

Too bad you didn’t receive a proper support on that matter.

Thank you, I should have read the pages more carefully. But nevertheless I’m still convinced that my current drive is not damaged - the whole series of FAEX just doesn’t work right with that motherboard. I’m on my third drive now and on other boards it works like a charm on SATA2 without any jumpering.

Like I said above I’m gonna try to get information from ASUS - maybe its an already known problem and there is a fix for that.

Edit: Changed drive for a Samsung Spinpoint F3 today. I’m tired of fixing products that should work out of the box. This was my first and last adventure with WD.

Nevertheless again thank you all for your help!

I did some checking for you, guys, and if you jumper the FAEX, it indeed only drops the drive from a SATA 3 to a SATA 2.  If you have an older motherboard that doesn’t support SATA 2, the drive most likely won’t work on that board.

Thank you very much for your effort and the update - but my motherboard is an ASUS P5Q deluxe which should handle SATA2 without any problems. Maybe WD has a problem with that particular board. I couldn’t even work with the WD diagnostic  tool because I got the “cable error”-message which was a bug (this was fixed a few months ago - I heard it had something to do with the VIA chipset but I am not sure on this one).

Maybe this is just a coincidence but there seems to be a compatibility issue. I am not mad at WD or ASUS and I was always satisfied with my MoBo and the performance of the WD disk (until it began to show errors). But I have clearly shown that there is a problem with THIS drive model with THIS particular MoBo and I hope they will do better next time or maybe even get an update on the road. But since it is not clear who is responsible for this I am afraid there will not be happening much.

Sorry again for my bad english!

I’m afraid the Caviar Black WD1002FAEX  especially those bearing the batch code of MDL …-00Y9A0 have manufacturing defects in general!!! Mine has been discovered to have numerous bad sectors by WD’s Data Lifeguard diagnostic after having used it for a month on my new mobo Asus P7P55D E-LX which is Sata3 capable, whereas my other Seagate and Hitachi HDDs have run for years without any bad sectors!!! Is it purely my luck!!!

Have any of you tried calling WD about this issue?  I think I would.

To Contact WD for Technical Support
http://support.wdc.com/contact/index.asp?lang=en

My hard drive WD1002FAEX-00Z3A0 Caviar Black 6 Gb/s SATA 3 just after a few days of usage gathered bad sectors from unknown reasons.

In Ubuntu 10.04 64 bit the S.M.A.R.T. Hard Disk Drive Analysis tool responsible with hard drives warns about bad sectors and the impossibility of them being replaced, due to outnumbered bad sectors.

I’ve tried to check the drive with different software and all are saying the same thing, moreover the smart check fails every time.

I think the problem is with my motherboard not being *usable* with this hard drive, which is Gigabyte K8NS ( http://tinyurl.com/37y7rcy ), a bit old, and it seems only supports SATA 1 by default, but I thought that SATA 2 and SATA 3 is backward compatible with older versions, and that it might work as well.

I used the hard drive without a jumper, thinking that the speed would adjust automatically to what my motherboard SATA Controller supports.

I’ve contacted WD Technical support and they suggested a replacement.  But I want to find out if the motherboard is really the problem, because I don’t want to have bad sectors again if I put a new SATA 3 drive inside.

How come the OP of this topic had bad sectors on 3 Caviar Black 1 TB FAEX ? His motherboard is the problem or what?

The answer of this topic is that a jumper must be used to limit the HDD? then why WD does not provide one?

Any input on this problem is appreciated. Thanks.

I use 3 caviar blacks in my new build as a redundant array 000. Thought WD had the best.  I have been replacing at least one a month since January of this year, sometimes two go in a month.  I was told that the software used to be accessible and WD put a stop to that, I guess you could change settings in the drive at one point.  Anyway he went on to say that the bug in the new drives, if they find an error, keep reading over and over and burn up the drive eventually.

I wish SSDs were not so **bleep** expensive, or I would replace them with that.  I bought an SSD in July for another computer, a Patriot Zephyr 650 GB, and I am replacing it for the 2nd time this moth.  WTF?