2x 2Tb non-writable partition found....Please help

I have 2 new 2Tb external My Book Essential Hard Drives.

I have looked through previous posts and tried the solutions suggested for changing Drive Letters and Online><Offline.

Nothing so far has worked.

When I change the Drive Letter on one, both change to the same letter.

Even if one is not connected.

I did not have this problem with 2 1Tb My Books.

I am using Windows 7 x64.

The only other thing you can try is disconnect both drives; reconnect one and delete the partition, repartition and format the drive.  When you do this, make sure to assign it the drive letter that shows up.  Then disconnect that drive, and do the same for the other drive, making sure to assign it a different drive letter.  Hopefully, that works.

I can’t reformat the original one, it’s nearly full.

That’s why i got a second one.

Then try doing just the empty one. 

Did you clone the first drive to the new one? If so, could your problem be due to both drives having the same disk signature in the MBR?

Can you upload the contents of sector 0 for both drives?

You can use a disk editor such as HxD. You will probably need administrator rights under Win 7.

HxD - Freeware Hex Editor and Disk Editor:
http://mh-nexus.de/en/hxd/

Launch HxD. Select Extras → Open disk → Select your physical disk and uncheck “Open as readonly”. You should now see Sector 0.

I have had this problem myself on one of my My Book Elite and i fixed it by uninstalling the driver for the drive and rebooting.

Start Run → devmgmt.msc →  Uninstall (Not delete) drive driver under “Disk drives”.