2TB Questions

Hi all,

I have a few questions regarding the 2TB Drive.  

I currently have an imac and HP laptop.  I want to move all my photos, Mp4s and Mp3s to the My book and access them via the laptop or the imac.   Is this possible?  I’ll be using itunes for the media and just folder browsing for the photos.  

Once concern I have is the speed at which itunes will read the content? Is it a problem?

Backing up data - Are there two 1TB hard drives in the shell and one mirrors the other?  I’m just wondering how the auto back up works.  Or do I need another and use that as a back up? Whats the best solution?

I want to steam movies to my Sony BDPs370 bluray player, but I’ve heard that it’s doesnt work that well.  So would I need yet another box under my TV to stream content? Or does it work and I’ve heard incorrectly?

Any help appreciated! 

aboyes wrote:

I currently have an imac and HP laptop.  I want to move all my photos, Mp4s and Mp3s to the My book and access them via the laptop or the imac.   Is this possible?  I’ll be using itunes for the media and just folder browsing for the photos. 

Yes, but don’t do it unless you keep a backup somewhere else because the drive (Just like any other drive from any other brand) can die 20 minutes after you move all your data with no particular reason.

aboyes wrote:

Hi all,

Once concern I have is the speed at which itunes will read the content? Is it a problem?

That will depend on your overall network configuration, ports, bottlenecks, distance and optimization.

aboyes wrote:

Backing up data - Are there two 1TB hard drives in the shell and one mirrors the other?  I’m just wondering how the auto back up works.  Or do I need another and use that as a back up? Whats the best solution?

No, it’s a single 2TB drive. The automatic backup is just an automatic copy of the files on your computer. If such files are erased from the computer then the backup automatically transforms into your primary source, so you’ll need a second drive to copy the data as well if you want a real backup. I’d get 2 drives with the same capacity from 2 different brands (The MBL of course and then another drive of your liking, sooner or later any of the two will fail).

aboyes wrote:

I want to steam movies to my Sony BDPs370 bluray player, but I’ve heard that it’s doesnt work that well.  So would I need yet another box under my TV to stream content? Or does it work and I’ve heard incorrectly?

Any help appreciated! 

That depends, if the files you want to play from the MBL on your BD player follow the exact parameters supported and required by your BD then you should have no problems at all.