2TB External Drive keeps disconnecting

I don’t think it’s a problem with the cable, I’ve tried wiggling everything and it stays connected.

My external hard drive is having problems. Every time I try to copy anything to it, it disconnects after about a minute. Disappears completely from my computer. Sometimes when I plug it back in it reads it again but most of the time it just won’t read it anymore.

I bought it about a month ago but this is the first chance I’ve had to put anything on it, and it keeps breaking on me. Am I doing something wrong? is it broken?

I have an ASUS running Windows 7.

Hello There;

I have the Exact Problem you facein … My WD 2TB Essential with power adabter , bought it something like 3 months ago , it was perfect.
once a day, i was near the Laptop when it made the sound of USB un-Plugging … i checked , my WD HDD wasnt there on Disk Drives , i woundered !
Rebooting the Laptop fixed the problem for Only 4 Minutes … The Cable is perfect and Changed the Adabter and faced again the same problem .

Even Changing the Laptop wont make any difference.

Now , even if i un-pluged the Power Supply Cable out of the Device , sometimes it works and sometimes doesnt … this is not a solution. its a temporary one for only 2 - 5 minutes

actually, i use bittorent alot . but i have never set my WD 2TB Essential HDD as a download location being afraid to face such a problem.

i guess its a hardware problem from the inside… cuz if you think about it , it was perfect and nothing changed in my computer settings, but suddenly its not Spining up and the computer cant detect it …

WD Community … We need help over here , files inside the HDD are very important … and unfortunetely, they are not backed-up … but im sure they are still there … the proble is with HDD Spinning and Detection.

I’ve got the same issue here with the 2TB Play. Connected to my Toshiba Satellite P30, it appears in windows explorer and bam, gone again. Can’t copy files to or from it, can’t even get into the drive.

Sure wish western digital would put their consumer goods through a better QA process before sending them out into the retail environment.

Look around this forum (WD’s own forum!) and see the thousands of problems.

It starts with intermittant operation…then dies.

BACKUP ALL YOUR DATA ELSEWHERE AND THROW THIS [Deleted]  IN THE TRASH WHERE IT WILL NO NO MORE HARM!

Otherwise, one day, you will lose everything.

You’ve been warned.

infuriated wrote:

Look around this forum (WD’s own forum!) and see the thousands of problems.

It starts with intermittant operation…then dies.

BACKUP ALL YOUR DATA ELSEWHERE AND THROW THIS [Deleted]  IN THE TRASH WHERE IT WILL NO NO MORE HARM!

Otherwise, one day, you will lose everything.

You’ve been warned.

I don’t get your post, you do know that when you have a backup, the drive can die a trillion times and you don’t lose a single picture… Right?