2nd Hard Drive in an HP dv9000

Hi!  As a kitchen table project I purchased a “scraptop” HP dv9000 from my local computer recycler (this model contains two separate drive bays).  I rebuilt it from the motherboard up, put a WD5000BPKT-75PK4T0 in Bay 1, and am currently running XP Professional SP3 on it.

This laptop has no problems running/recognizing my 500GB, 7200rpm, SATA II drive.  While I have partioned my existing drive for OS and data storage, I’d like to do a belt & suspenders approach and add a second HD in Bay 2 for backup purposes (not looking to do a RAID configuration).   In looking at the forums dealing with the dv9000 it appears that the HP engineers, in their wisdom, put a physical limit in Bay 2 of either SATA I, or 1.5Gb/s.  No one has been able to get a SATA II or 3.0Gb/s drive to work in Bay 2.  Even drives that have self-reducing throughput are not recognized by the hardware, nor are drives with jumper configurations to reduce the throughput.   Different drive/manufacturers’ products have been tried without success.

Since I’d like to stick with WD, here’s my question:  What is the largest/fastest WD drive I can put into Bay 2, that is either a SATA I configuration, or has a native maximum throughput of 1.5Gb/s?  If I’m limited to 5400rpm, so be it.

Any ideas/info will be appreciated!

Hi,

Is on our best interest to assist all the users that visit our community. However, the best way for you to know that is contacting the computer manufacturer since they have all the specifications about the computer and they know what your computer supports.