2nd drive no longer visible in Windows 7 Disk Management, works in XP

HISTORY: I purchased a new 1TB Western Digital WD10EZEX internal hard drive and tried to add it as a second non-bootable drive on my Windows 7 PC. I went into Disk Management and accepted the defaults in the pop-up window/wizard. I do not recall exactly what I saw at this point however it did briefly show up in the bottom half of the Disk Management window, but either before or possibly during formatting, it vanished. After rebooting, it reappeared briefly, but vanished again. Now it stays gone, and I am unable to see it at all. PROBLEM: How do I get the drive to reappear in Disk Management and/or be seen by Windows 7? OTHER NOTES: The drive is installed in a removable drive tray drawer, and works fine on a Windows XP computer. After seeing the drive appear in the Windows XP computer, I also reformatted it on that PC just in case. The drive bay on the Windows 7 PC worked fine with a different smaller capacity SATA drive in the bay, and no connections were touched other than inserting/removing the drawer that now contains the new drive instead. The drive is recognized by the BIOS on the Windows 7 PC. I did notice an unexpected pause during booting while the BIOS said “Auto-Detecting SATA 4…Hard disk” though. Western Digital Data Lifeguard Diagnostics for Windows does not see the disk at all. a bootable CD with SeaTools for DOS, which starts fine when the drive is unplugged, fails to run correctly when this hard drive is connected. Thanks in advance for any suggestions on getting this working!

Hello,

There are many different external bridgeboard and enclosure manufacturers, each with their own command sets, levels of compatibility, and technical issues. The issue you are having might be related to this.

Take a look at this link:

Installing a WD SATA, SAS, or PATA drive in an external USB/NAS enclosure or Personal Video Recorder 

The drive is effectively mounted as an internal drive.  Although it is physically mounted in a removeable drive tray, other than the addition of a fan and an LED in the tray, there is nothing there to be incompatible, the SATA and power cable connections just connect the drive inside to the cable outside of the tray.  If you wish I can take the case off and plug the drive in directly to verify this, but that should not be necessary.

UPDATE: I discovered that the drive started working when I moved the cable to a different SATA port, stopped working when I moved the cable back, but then vanished from Windows partway through a file copy even in the new port.  I need to try a few more things here.

It appears that for some reason that particular drive doesn’t work while in that particular mobile rack (Kingwin KF-91 mobile rack) when it is in that specific PC (although supposedly it should.) My workaround was to swap the mobile racks between two PCs. It’s not a final answer since things might stop working if/when the other PC gets upgraded, but works for now. I swapped it back and forth and verified that it repeatedly (or not at all) failed when doing some bulk file copying of a few folders in each case. Things that were not the problem: It wasn’t the SATA cable, nor seating of the SATA cable, replacing the cable did not fix it. It wasn’t the power cable, nor seating of the power cable, moving it to another cable, and even to it’s own power cable, did not fix it. Although the rack seems to be part of the problem, it wasn’t the rack just by itself, which works fine with that same drive in a different older PC, and previously worked fine in the original PC with several different drives. Kingwin says the KF-91 mobile rack should work fine with SATA III (something the failing PC has access to that the working PC does not utilize). Although the drive seems to be part of the problem, it wasn’t the drive by itself, which works fine when plugged directly into the same cables and connections it failed on when going through the rack.