2nd Drive (Drive2)

Hey, I have an My Cloud Mirror (16TB) and I wanted to know how can I start saving and/or uploading files to the second drive because my first drive is full?

Which mode is your device operating in?

RAID1 (the default mode) means that the data is being written to both drives simultaneously, and so both drives are already full. It’s designed to work around individual drive failures, as if one drive fails the data is safe on the other and the failed drive can be replaced and the data replicated back.

RAID0 (spanning) means that the two drives are being used as one large virtual drive, so if it’s full then both drives again are full.

JBOD (“just a bunch of disks”) mode will run the drives independently. If you’re in this mode then when you set up the shares, part of the set-up is to say which drive (volume) you’re putting them on. Make more shares on the other volume and copy some data across.

It’s not possible to switch between modes without formatting the disks, which will of course remove all of the data on them. So if you’re in RAID1 mode then you’ll need to either clean the device of old data etc that can be removed, or look at expanding it somehow.

If you’re not sure which mode you’re device is using, log into the dashboard and select the storage tab. It will tell you there which mode each of the drives (volumes) is in. That’s also where you can change the mode, subject to the warning above.