MyBook (WD30 EZRX-00MMMB0) death throes

Hello, My ‘MyBook’ USB disk is dying in an interesting way. For a few days, the disk was continuously disconnecting & re-connecting to the USB port a few times per second. (Lots of Windows sounds throughout the day).

After going online and offline for a couple weeks, the disk is somehow spinning normally again & presenting Windows with a volume. The MBR and the NTFS partition are gone, however (from Windows’ point of view, at least). Any idea why this might happen? It seems a bit like the device decided to report a different physical sector to Windows as the first sector of the disk.

Thanks,
BGU

Hi Kant,

Try to connect the drive with different USB cable and check if the issue still persist.

Doesn’t this drive use a proprietary connector/cable? The connector (on the disk side of the cable) looks shallower and thinner than a normal USB male. I doubt that I have a matching spare cable lying around.

Thanks,
Kant

Hi Kant,

Maybe you should try contacting WD’s Technical Support about this.

To Contact WD for Technical Support

https://support.wdc.com/support/case.aspx?lang=en

The link below will allow you to call support.

Posting the solution for others. Although I was not able to recover the data on this disk, I did have success removing the drive from the stand-alone/USB apparatus and installing it into the computer. It has been running reliably inside the host machine for a month or two now.