Connected an 4TB external hard drive via USB

Hi all,

I connected an external hard drive 4TB via the USB interface.
However, I discovered that my MyCloud unit only shows 1.8TB.

I SSH’ed into the device and tried to re-partition the new hard drive and format it again as ext3, but it still only shows 1.8TB.

What can I do?
I do not want to lose a whole 2TB!

My MyCloud device has firmware 04.05.00-327 installed.

Thank you for any kind of help!

~AndieB

The single bay My Cloud units do not support EXT3 as a format for external USB hard drives attached to the My Cloud USB port. Use NTFS, HFS+ or FAT32. See the following WD Knowledgebase article for more information. Also see the My Cloud User Manual which also explains the supported USB drive formats.

1 Like

ext3 works for me… It does not show up as additional capacity on the dashboard, but it is included as a directory in file explorer (in Windows 8.1). And I can read files from that directory and write to them.

Typically one has to enable USB Content Availability for the Dashboard to include the USB drive in the total capacity/total free space shown on the Dashboard Home page. USB Content Availability can be enabled via Dashboard > Settings > General > Cloud Access > USB Content Availability.

When a USB drive is attached to the My Cloud it shows up as a “Share” and can be configured through the My Cloud Dashboard > Share page. The down side is the entire USB drive shows up as a single Share so any Share settings affect the entire USB drive.