[BUG] Operating System / Web Manager

So, I have owned a My Cloud EX2 for over 2 years now, been running into the same problem about having to manually run “passwd -U ” after every reboot because I could not access my samba share with my custom account (no manual fiddling, just changed the username via the web manager).

Now, Today I received my My Cloud Mirror 2nd gen, and it has the exact same issue, but this time I narrowed it down A LOT.
Turns out, you can change the default “admin” user’s username, but when logging in to the samba share, it for whatever reason still thinks the username is “admin” instead of your chosen username.

Using “passwd -U <username” will temporarely set the proper settings, but I guess after the reboot the file gets restored, causing the same issue.

This seems like kind of a oversight and it would be great if this could be fixed.

I suspect that the /etc/smbpasswd file does not get updated when you change the admin username.

You should post to the dedicated My Cloud EX2 subforum, and or use the forum search feature (magnifying glass icon upper right) to search through that subforum to see if there are any additional posts similar to your issue. The current subforum (My Cloud) is generally for the single bay/single drive My Cloud units which are different than the EX2 units.

https://community.wd.com/c/network-attached-storage/wd-my-cloud-ex2

I thought of “My Cloud” as more of a general category.
Pretty sure the Dashboard is the same across all devices though, since both the Mirror and the EX2 have exactly the same software.

Additionally: this wasn’t meant really as a question topic, but more as a bug report for Western Digital to fix in a next release.

The Dashboard for the single bay My Cloud units are slightly different (have less options like the inability to install third party apps/modules) than the multi bay My Cloud units. To confuse things even more there are two different firmwares for the single bay My Cloud units. The older first gen single bay My Cloud uses v4.x firmware which while the Dashboard is visually somewhat similar to the v2.x firmware, the underlying firmware code is not the same as those used by the second gen My Cloud v2.x firmware models.

Could be a bug specific to the EX2 or v2.x firmware although I don’t recall anyone ever complaining about it in this subforum on the single bay units…On the v4.x first gen single bay My Cloud I’ve changed the admin user name and Samba works just fine, no problems with access.

On my 4.x system, the smbpasswd file only has one name and it is not admin. On the 2.x system it has nobody and admin in the smbpasswd file.

Well, this issue has just become a lot more complex…

Now both systems don’t wanna authenticate the Samba user credentials -.-
I did a full System reset on the EX2, and a regular System Reset (no loss of data) on the Mirror, but neither succeed in authenticating from my windows PC to their samba shares.

Why does this have to be so difficult -.-

EDIT: apparently using special characters in a password somehow has something to do with this.
EDIT2: Yeah, So I changed the password to use some other special characters and now it works. Looks like some bad samba implementation, or just an error in the wrapper is causing this.