Passport Icon color

Why is the passport icon on my iMac desktop sometimes green and then sometimes yellow in color?  Thanks,

Wornslick

Welcome to the Community.

The default icon should be orange. However, when the hard drive is used with Time Machine it changes to teal/green. This is up to your computer system and not your WD Passport.

Trancer wrote:

Welcome to the Community.

The default icon should be orange. However, when the hard drive is used with Time Machine it changes to teal/green. This is up to your computer system and not your WD Passport.

Thank you for that info.  I’ve always wondered the same thing.  I couldn’t figure out what made the Passport change colors.

Thanks Trancer, I got up this morning and the desktop icon was gone from my desktop, is that normal too?  

wornslick wrote:

Thanks Trancer, I got up this morning and the desktop icon was gone from my desktop, is that normal too?  

The hard drive goes to sleep when the computer hibernates instead of being fully powered off. When that happens you will need to re-connect your hard drive.

Thanks again Trancer!

I realize this has been discussed, but I am having the orange/teal issue, too. Mine is orange, El Capitan OS. It was teal before I upgraded my OS. I didn’t understand what Trancer meant by “when the hard drive is used with Time Machine it changes to teal/green”. I just followed the setup directions originally. It seems as though everything is being backed up fine. Don’t know why I’m caught up with the icon being orange or teal, but I am.