Formatting (not fast) question about WD Reds in My Cloud EX2 NAS

Hey community,

tried searching for a solution on here first but didn’t find what I was looking for. I just upgraded my My Cloud EX2 with two 6TB WD Reds to a My Cloud EX2 Ultra with two 8TB WD Reds.

I am about 40% into reformatting the two 6TB drives and I am also 4 days in. I should have researched more that there was a quick reset or a faster way to clear out the drive for selling it.

How bad will it be for the health of the drive if I interrupt the formatting process and power cycle it to try a quick reset instead of the full format??

I had already backup up the drives and got everything I want off of the drive before I started, so I’m not worried about losing any data at this point, but will this hurt the drives at all?

Hi there,

I would not recommend to do this, interrupting this process as it can damage the drive, however you can try to do this, but it would be at the risk of perhaps damaging one or both drives.

Thank you for the response. I am not excited to wait for an additional 4+ days, but I definitely don’t want to damage the drives, so I will wait for it to run its course.