Can no longer access MyCloud from Windows 10 (intermittently accessible)

Hello,

For the past few weeks or so, I’ve noticed my MyCloud is no longer accessible through file explorer on my Windows 10 PC. Everything used to work perfectly fine (for years), with my drive staying mapping at all times, and now it doesn’t work. When I reboot the PC, I can access the drive under the Network directory for about 1 minute, then WD access displays the notfication saying the network link is down and the drive is no longer accessible from that point on. The same thing occurs every time I reboot the PC. Sometimes the drive will periodically become accessible for a few minutes, but then it goes down again.

The error I get is “Windows cannot access \WDMYCLOUD…”

There doesn’t seem to be anything wrong with the drive since I have no trouble accessing at any time it from my Mac, from the iOS app, from the dashboard on any other computer in the house, or from the mycloud.com website.

I don’t want to completely wipe and factory reset the drive, so I’m looking for alternative solutions (especially since I think it may have something to do with the newer versions of Windows 10).

Windows 10 Pro v1703 build 15063.296 (which I recently updated to see if that would fix the problem)
MyCloud firmware 04.05.00-315 (04/12/2017)

I have tried multiple things:

• Set the drive to have a static IP through my router configuration (I also use the static IP to map the drive in File Explorer)
  • Change my WDmycloud user and credentials (using another laptop)
  • Delete network connection (Net Use * /delete)
  • Delete WD credentials using windows credentials manager and rebooting
  • Use RegEdit (1. Create a Dword called ‘AllowInsecureGuestAuth’ in HKLM\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\LanmanWorks, 2. Set the new value to 1, 3. Then close Regedit and Reboot.)
  • A few other things I can’t remember at the moment.

I’m not familiar with anything related to SSH so I haven’t tried any of those solutions.

Any help would be much appreciated as I’ve spent days trying to fix this.

Thanks!

Hi there,

Have you tried to set the static IP from the unit itself, perhaps this can help. Also check if you are only login 1 single user, sometimes windows does not like having more than one user going in to the same network location.

Hello,

Yes, I have tried setting the static IP on the unit itself and it made no difference so I just kept it set through the router. I tried your suggestion in making sure only the windows computer was accessing the drive at a time (disconnected everything else) and I’m still having the issue. Before, I used to be able to access it from multiple computers at once so I’m not sure if that’s the issue.

Thanks for the suggestions!

I’ve just spent several days trying to set up a MyCloud NAT on a customer’s Windows 10 laptop. I never did manage to get the thing showing up as a network share, but here’s how to get a consistent connection to mapped network drives and the WD SmartWare interface:

Use the web interface to fix the devices IP to, eg, 192.168.1.250

Edit Windows/System32/Drivers/etc/hosts to forcibly link the name to this address. Add a line such as:

192.168.1.250        wdmycloud        #Forced network name for WD NAS under Windows 10

Note that ‘hosts’ is a text file with no extension, in a protected system directory. You’ll need to copy it to a working directory to make changes, and most editors will automatically add .txt to the filename when saving.

Thanks for the help everyone!

I eventually figured out that my Avast antivirus firewall was blocking all local network traffic. Avast must’ve updated a while back which caused this issue. A number of others are also having this issue with the new Avast updates. I disabled manual port scanning in the firewall settings and it seems to have somewhat solved the issue for now.

Hopefully it works for good.

Here is a link to that forum: Firewall block all local IP adress: 192.168.1.* After updating

I almost RMA’s my brand new drive. After numerous 40 second resets I noticed that my MacBook Pro OSX 10.12.5 using the Chrome Browser worked flawlessly. Any time I made a change to the drive bios/software the drive In Windows 10 build 1703 it disappeared from the network. I don’t have that problem using the Mac. Problem solved. It is no wonder I call that bad company Microsnot.