2*WD20EARS Problems

I bought 2 WD20EARS last week and was eager to copy all my data on them. I got lucky that I used copy and not move! After transferring almost 2TB (takes a looot of time) on the first HDD I started verifying the content (md5 checksum) and after a couple of minutes the process aborted because the file couldn’t be read from the HDD. When I checked the SMART values I got some errors/warnings on the “Current pending sector count” and “read error rate”. Afterwards i decided to test with the Data Lifeguard Diagnostic for Windows and even the faster test could complete.

After having one bad HDD i decided first to test the second drive with the Data Lifeguard Diagnostic for Windows tool and everything was ok (both short and long tests). But after copying the data on it the same thing happened - the data could not be verified (couldn’t be read from the HDD), the same SMART errors.

I am doing something wrong or those 20EARS are just so bad?!?

p.p. The HDDs were manifactured at the end of 2010 which is kind of strange (never got a new HDD more than 2 months old). Could they be some refurbished drives?

Maybe you should try contacting WD’s Technical Support about this. You can do so either by phone or email.

To Contact WD for Technical Support
http://support.wdc.com/contact/index.asp?lang=en

Regards,