2 WD Live Players - Cant see USB connected drives over the Network - Help Please

My thank you in advance for those that help me with this issue. I am also sorry if this is posted somewhere and I just cant find it…I tried writing my search in several different ways but did not see this issue spelled out.

My Problem:

I have a Western Digital Live Hub and a Western Digital Live Player on the same network. I can open my laptop (which is the master browser) and see both devices and see the files with no problem there. I have no direct issues with the devices by themselves as they work perfectly (at least the small quirks I can get around). My issue is with the Western Digitial Live Player itself. It connects to the network via wireless and can see the Live Hub internal drive and all the videos I put there  no problem. What it does not see is the two external drives which are connected into the USB ports on the USB Live Hub. 

I will add that initially out of the box the Live Player did not see the drives, when I did a few firmware updates (given the device was new from the store) it finally did see them and I was a happy camper. Then another update came out and I restarted and all of a sudden they are no longer there.

My Troubleshooting: I have restarted all devices on the network, insured the drives were open to sharing within the system settings but beyond this I cant imagine I changed anything given they were working fine before I made the last firmware update.

My hope is this is just another little quirk that I have to do some trick to make it work…but figured I would ask you smart folks :wink:

thanks again!

KameoNR

KameoNR wrote:

My Problem:

… What it does not see is the two external drives which are connected into the USB ports on the USB Live Hub. 

… insured the drives were open to sharing within the system settings 

Confused.   Where are the drives attached?   To your HUB?  Or to your PC?   The 2nd statement above is confusing, since there’s no such drive-specific setting on the Hub.

There *IS* a setting to enable File Sharing but it is “Global,” not specific to the USB disks.  Is that what you’re saying you turned on?

My apologies if that was confusing…what I meant is that the HUB has the “media sharing” options turned on…so I can actually select Network Shares and see the Hub, connect to the Hub and see the internal 1TB within that hub, I just dont see the two external drives which are attached to the WD Live Hub from the WD Live Player.

I only brought up my laptop to further show that I can see the devices and the hub does show me both the internal 1TB as well as the two external drives attached to it. 

Does that clear it up for you?

Yes, thanks.

Try this.

On your SMP, go to:

SETUP

SYSTEM

MEDIA LIBRARY

Media Librayr Manager for Network Shares 

ADD Content Source (I can’t remember the exact words, though.)

Find the HUB by NAME.

Select the Hub.

You should now see the Hub’s internal drive, as well as any (and all) USB disks, listed separately.

Add the ones you want.

Repeat as needed for additional devices.

Finally, go to VIDEOS, and change your CONTENT SOURCE to MY MEDIA LIBRARY.