New System:

Intel Core i7-960 3.20GHz LGA1366 CPU BX80601960
MB Intel BOX DX58OG
PSU Corsair 600W
MEM 4G KST KVR1333D3/4GR x3
EVGA GeForce GTX 560 Ti
* Western Digital 500 GB SATA 6.0 GB-s Internal OEM Drive WD5000AAKX
* Western Digital 2 TB Caviar Black SATA 6GB/s Internal OEM Drive WD2002FAEX

Windows 7 Home (installed on 500GB drive)

SATA III controller drivers: Marvell 91xx SATA 6G v1.2.0.1002 (Dated 3/7/2011)

BIOS flashed up-to-date

My 2TB Caviar Black WD2002FAEX drive will not work on either SATA III port.

The ports are not defective, as the 500GB WD5000AAKX drive (boot) works fine on either SATA III port.

The 2TB Caviar Black does, however, work normally on the SATA II ports. After running WD LifeGuard, the drive passes both quick test and extended test. The drive does not appear to be DOA. The cables are also not defective.

When plugged into SATA III, BIOS recognizes the 2TB drive, as does device manager and Disk Management in Windows 7, but it cannot be accessed, formatted, or partitioned (attempts result in an error).

Why won’t my 2TB Caviar Black WD2002FAEX Drive work on these SATA III ports? Marvell lists WD Caviar Black as an enabled partner, so I do not understand the problem.

what error does the operating system report?

also, at what speed is it recognized by the bios?

When I try to partition or format using Drive Management, it tells me generally “there has been an error” and that I should reboot. There was an occasion when the system locked up and blue screened after this.

When plugged into a SATA III port, the drive shows up under this port, as 6g/s, yet it is not accessible through the OS.