2 channel sound only from 5.1 MKV files

Hello,

I’m only getting 2 channel sound from 5.1 MKV files. I have a WDTV live, Pioneer VSX-1021, and Epson projector. I have tried optical pass thru and digital pass thru, but I’m only getting 2 channel sound.

Any ideas?

What format is the Audio ?
install mediainfo to find out … MediaInfo

Dolby Digital
DTS
AAC <— unless your AV Receiver supports decoding 5.1 AAC then you’ll only get 2.0 Stereo

Hello,

I will check AAC . Audio is:

Audio
ID : 2
Format : AAC
Format/Info : Advanced Audio Codec
Format profile : HE-AAC / LC
Codec ID : A_AAC
Duration : 2h 21mn
Bit rate : 192 Kbps
Channel(s) : 6 channels
Channel positions : Front: L C R, Side: L R, LFE
Sampling rate : 48.0 KHz / 24.0 KHz
Frame rate : 23.438 fps (1024 spf)
Compression mode : Lossy
Stream size : 194 MiB (10%)
Language : English
Default : Yes
Forced : No

as i suspected … the problem is 5.1 AAC

a post i made 3 years ago in 2013

If you decide to convert the 5.1 AAC to 5.1 AC3 (Dolby Digital)

Here’s my guide to do it ‘quickly’ and this does not touch the video

Quick and simple way to do it and much quicker with better result is to use MKVExtractGUI to extract the AAC track then dbpoweramp to convert it to 5.1 FLAC, then mkvmergeGUI to repackage it with the video.
This sounds complicated but takes only 5 minutes for a 8GB film and the sound is really impressive, much better than AC3.

Just a couple of comparisions …

*dbpoweramp is Trialware (21 Days) to Purchase is $39~$58

Avidemux is FREE

*FLAC audio is only supported in .mkv

AC3 audio is supported in .mkv/.iso(BD&DVD)/.mts/.m2t/.m2ts/.m4t/.tp/.trp/.ts/.tts/.3g2/.3gp/.mov/.mp4/.avi/.divx/.dvr-ms/.m1s/.m2p/.mpg/.mpeg/.mpeg2/.mod/.vbs/.vob

use MKVExtractGUI to extract the AAC track then dbpoweramp to convert it to 5.1 FLAC, then mkvmergeGUI to repackage

3 Step” Procedure Vs “1 Step” using Avidemux which takes less than 5mins

“1 Step” using Avidemux which takes less than 5mins
Contradiction!!

No contradiction

Original Post is from… August 2014, that’s how long it took back then … when i had a slow computer

takes less then 5 Mins on my New Computer (and i did’nt have to shell out any money for PayWare software) :sunglasses:

Did you read the original post? just the title would have been sufficient.

Yeah i did …

But your " FLAC / Solution " is only relevant to what’s supported in MKV file container format

My “Solution” is relevant to MKV + many other supported file formats + it’s FREE

P.S. your “8GB” video files originally encoded with 5,1 AAC … what ■■■■■ does that ?

4GB~8GB video files are at least encoded 5.1 AC3 or 5.1 DTS (HD/MA) at Best :wink: