2 & 3 TB Bought - Worst Buy Ever

Hi,

I Bought the 3Tb and had the 2Tb bought as a present from my son who didn’t know I had bought one.

Worst purchase I ever made, internally (just on WiFi) they are usable but frustrating due to speed, externally on the odd occaision you can contact either of them the speed is attrocious, other issue

1. Uncontactable most of the time

2. Slow

3. They back up (17 hours the 3Tb with about 2tb used) but the “Update” facility so that you don’t have to do a full backup each time has never worked in the 3-4 months I have had them.

4. Sometimes won’t come back online after a reboot (takes about 10 minutes to reboot)

I have a fiber optic connection so broadband speed shouldnt be an issue

Summary

They are ok (just) as a hard wired hard drive with lots of space

The “Help/support” link in the UK software logs a ticket with the US so they couldn’t understand why when they rang middle of the night (and to be fair they did) I didn’t answer, after about 2 weeks it clicked and they very politley closed the ticket

Dave

1 Like

Had one of these a couple of months and it has been largely fault free once I figured out how to use it and copy my data over to it.

Never had a connection issue with it and seens reasonably fast to copy data over via my hub.  Just did a 24 mb test file and it completed in about 3 seconds which is OK.

Initially doing backups and file transfers are a bit slow depending on how much data you have to move but once it was done things have been good for me.

if you initially have over 50GB to copy, connect the source to your computer usb and then copy to mycloud as advised in the yellow sheet accompanying the drive… Never had any connection problem, internally or externally

If you are using WiFi, you have to make sure that you have a decent WiFi. It is advised to have Wireless N. It all depends on your wireless router, Test your wireless on www.speedtest.net which will give you a good idea,

My wireless N runs between 30 and 55 mbs which is pretty good and the drive behaves instantaneous. Externally it all depends on what you are connected to, again fast even on 3G.

to get the best of it (all mentioned in the manual):

connect mycloud to gigabit router by gigabit ethernet cable (buy a good quality well shielded cable). connect your pc via gigabit ethernet cable as well to the same router, Test the drive.

For wireless you need Wireless N and a very good signal. This depends on your wireless router. WiFi can degrade due to interference and signal strength, walls, etc, so you will not necessary get full speed of wireless N. If i switch off all other devices I get 60 mbs, If all are on (all 11 of them) I get 30+.

HTH.

Here is the sheet that came with my drive 3TB

jamalaya wrote:
if you initially have over 50GB to copy, connect the source to your computer usb and then copy to mycloud as advised in the yellow sheet accompanying the drive… Never had any connection problem, internally or externally

If you are using WiFi, you have to make sure that you have a decent WiFi. It is advised to have Wireless N. It all depends on your wireless router, Test your wireless on www.speedtest.net which will give you a good idea,

My wireless N runs between 30 and 55 mbs which is pretty good and the drive behaves instantaneous. Externally it all depends on what you are connected to, again fast even on 3G.

to get the best of it (all mentioned in the manual):

connect mycloud to gigabit router by gigabit ethernet cable (buy a good quality well shielded cable). connect your pc via gigabit ethernet cable as well to the same router, Test the drive.

For wireless you need Wireless N and a very good signal. This depends on your wireless router. WiFi can degrade due to interference and signal strength, walls, etc, so you will not necessary get full speed of wireless N. If i switch off all other devices I get 60 mbs, If all are on (all 11 of them) I get 30+.

HTH.

Thanks jamalaya                     

I had the same issue with a wireless bridge.  I had to connect directly to the router to get the data transferred over. 

Codemonkey999 wrote:

Hi,

I Bought the 3Tb and had the 2Tb bought as a present from my son who didn’t know I had bought one.

Worst purchase I ever made, internally (just on WiFi) they are usable but frustrating due to speed, externally on the odd occaision you can contact either of them the speed is attrocious, other issue

1. Uncontactable most of the time
  1. Slow
  1. They back up (17 hours the 3Tb with about 2tb used) but the “Update” facility so that you don’t have to do a full backup each time has never worked in the 3-4 months I have had them.
  1. Sometimes won’t come back online after a reboot (takes about 10 minutes to reboot)

I have a fiber optic connection so broadband speed shouldnt be an issue

Summary

They are ok (just) as a hard wired hard drive with lots of space

The “Help/support” link in the UK software logs a ticket with the US so they couldn’t understand why when they rang middle of the night (and to be fair they did) I didn’t answer, after about 2 weeks it clicked and they very politley closed the ticket

Dave

Sorry, Codemonkey999, for the mess up. We are checking into what happened, and will probably contact you to see if you need any further help.

[edit]  Can you post the link that you used so I can look into it?