2.02.32 Firmware no longer allows content?

Cusco, do the following:

format a USB stick to fat32
go to: http://www.wdc.com/wdproducts/updates/?family=wdfwdtv_live_G3
download latest firmware (not the rollback firmware !!!)
extract the files in the root directory of the USB stick
put the usb stick in the media player
media player will now have the latest firmware will reload

Then possibly load a previous firmware through the procedure on the WD site

success

Must I format the pen drive on Windows or Linux ?

Format itĀ  FAT32 using Windows

Yes, but under Windows or Linux system ? Not the same thing.

WINDOWS

Thanks

It doensā€™t matter if you format it under Win or Linux as long the resulting file system is FAT32.

Thanks Joey, it worked for me

Thanks for the rollback, can I ask where you got the firmware? I may want to rollback even farther than this, I KNOW there was one that worked great in the past.Ā 

just tried gOOgle tonight ā€¦ yep, it still works :wink:

http://wdc.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/5860/~/how-to-roll-back-the-firmware-on-a-wd-tv-live-hub-media-center,-wd-tv-live

Yeah, I at long last got tired of working around the 2.02.32 issues and rolled back. Ā Donā€™t know why I resisted so hard.

I guess the one tradeoff is it means if WD ever DOES update the firmware again (fat chance, I say, but I know some folks insist they will), then Iā€™ll have to remember to keep checking back here every few months to see if theyā€™ve done it (since the rollback means turning off the firware update checking). Ā Oh well. Ā Better that than the alternative (the worst firmware ever).

You rock!!!Ā  Thank you so much - Iā€™ve been trying to find a solution to the problem of my WDTV Live no longer recognizing my external hard drives ever since the firmware upgrade to 2.02.32.Ā 

I was at the point of thinking of buying another device to play the videos stored on my 2 - 2 terabytes external hard drives before I found your post at 2:00 a.m. this morning.Ā  You were a great deal more helpful than the lovely folks at Western Digital customer service :wink: - K.

I had the same problem with downloading contentā€¦ After I read here Iā€™d tried to downgrade, the problem did not disappeared then I upgraded again and I discovered that if I wired connect NO problems at all. So it must be something with the wireless connection, maybe the wifi driver ā€¦ I can watch movies and everything, only canā€™t download media content.

1. download & save this http://download.wdc.com/wdtv/wdtvlivegen3_rollbackā€‹_2.01.86.zipĀ Ā Ā Ā Ā Ā  2.i used my hard drive.you dont need a flash drive.the hard drive does not need to be empty. 3 connect hard drive to computer.4 click dowloads .click on file click extract all.copy the files 5 click on computer click on yourĀ  hard drive and click pasteĀ  .the file loads to root of the hard drive 6 safley remove hard drive.connect to wdlive power up update will be inĀ  alerts .if the file still does not play check the hard drive or stick.1 connect drive to computer. 2 click computer in start menu. 3 right click on drive & click properties. 4 click disk cleanup . 5Ā  click toolsĀ  do a scan for errors &Ā  drefag check .Ā Ā Ā  if file wont play when you start wd player turn wd of anĀ  on again

Excellent. It works! Thank you.

Ho fatto tutto come da istruzioni ed il problema ĆØ risolto!!
Grazie!
Speriamo che il prossimo aggiornamento risoltva il problema.
Ancora grazie e saluti. Gino Paolini

Joey - I signed up just to thank you and all the other posters for the solution. Ā I have been doing this for over 45 years now and your post was the clearest and most definitive Iā€™ve seen in along time. Ā I only had a PNY 256GB FAT32 stick on hand and it worked perfectly , no glitches. I did not reset to factory defaults as I have a lot of shares. No problem so far. Ā 

I had been researching this for several days before I came here. Ā I was leaning to the ffmpeg solution but thought there had to be a simpler way than re-processing a thousand videos.

Thank you very much and all the members of this board.

I think Iā€™ll hang around.

Bill

No probs :smiley: iā€™m glad the guide was helpful

1 Like

Thanks for the great guide Joey!Ā  I have been pulling my hair out since I upgraded the firmware several days ago.Ā  Rolling back as you directed has saved the day!

No more firmware upgrades for me!!

Problem solved. My WDTV would only read certain MP4 files, curiously those posted a little while ago. Itā€™s perhaps a date association. Now the latest ones can be read too: great! I was converting MP4 files to WMV ,which worked but is time consuming. I stumbled across this community whilst researching whether there had been a change to MP4 files recently.

Many thanks.