2.02.32 Firmware no longer allows content?

Hi,

I have the same issue as many WD TV Live owners running FW 2.0.32…

Did the rollback and will test the next week, should solve the problem.

Thx.

I want to say a BIG thank you to JoeySmyth.

(Found this topic searching on google)

My WD TV kept freezing and the problem seems to be solved thanks to your post #2!

Shame the manufacturer hasn’t managed to find the time to do something about it after such a long time.

Thank you so much!  This solved my share folder issue. 

Hello I am form Holland.

I did try a downgrade but after waiting more than 1 hour en only seeing the blue WD WDTVLIVE logo i took out the USB stick.

Is the WD still alive now and what did i do wrong?

UPDATE: When i took out the USB and did a reset teh WD asked for firmware. Put the USB back in and the WD did the reinstall from 2.01.86.

For now the WD is working!!! Thanks…

Hello every body. I did the rollback and it work. Now I am running V2.01.86 but there is still a lot of mp4 file that can’t be read.

Is there at lease one of the many versions of the firmware released by WD that can read all MP4?

Thank you

Rick

post a mediainfo output log of one of your “non-working” mp4’s

here’s how guide: http://community.wd.com/t5/WD-TV-Media-Player/WD-tv-MOV-file-not-work/m-p/849646#M2232

Hello Joey Smyth

Thank you for your answer.

This is the mediainfo of one of my no working  MP4 file.

General
Unique ID : 183985345527835849646086319475887943905 (0x8A6A49E3871FB580987208BAD377B0E1)
Complete name : B:Need.For.Speed.1080p\Need.For.Speed.mp4
Format : Matroska
Format version : Version 4 / Version 2
File size : 2.49 GiB
Duration : 2h 10mn
Overall bit rate : 2 725 Kbps
Movie name : Need.For.Speed.1080p
Encoded date : UTC 2014-07-12 14:21:02
Writing application : mkvmerge v7.0.0 (‘Where We Going’) 64bit built on Jun 9 2014 15:16:27
Writing library : libebml v1.3.0 + libmatroska v1.4.1

Video
ID : 1
Format : AVC
Format/Info : Advanced Video Codec
Format profile : High@L4.1
Format settings, CABAC : Yes
Format settings, ReFrames : 3 frames
Codec ID : V_MPEG4/ISO/AVC
Nominal bit rate : 2 500 Kbps
Width : 1 920 pixels
Height : 808 pixels
Display aspect ratio : 2.40:1
Frame rate mode : Constant
Frame rate : 23.976 fps
Color space : YUV
Chroma subsampling : 4:2:0
Bit depth : 8 bits
Scan type : Progressive
Bits/(Pixel*Frame) : 0.067
Title : Need.For.Speed.1080p
Writing library : x264 core 142 r2431kMod ac76440
Encoding settings : cabac=1 / ref=4 / deblock=1:-1:-1 / analyse=0x3:0x113 / me=hex / subme=7 / psy=1 / fade_compensate=0.00 / psy_rd=1.00:0.15 / mixed_ref=1 / me_range=16 / chroma_me=1 / trellis=1 / 8x8dct=1 / cqm=0 / deadzone=21,11 / fast_pskip=1 / chroma_qp_offset=-3 / threads=11 / lookahead_threads=1 / sliced_threads=0 / nr=0 / decimate=1 / interlaced=0 / bluray_compat=0 / constrained_intra=0 / fgo=0 / bframes=8 / b_pyramid=1 / b_adapt=1 / b_bias=0 / direct=1 / weightb=1 / open_gop=0 / weightp=2 / keyint=250 / keyint_min=25 / scenecut=40 / intra_refresh=0 / rc_lookahead=40 / rc=2pass / mbtree=1 / bitrate=2500 / ratetol=1.0 / qcomp=0.60 / qpmin=0 / qpmax=69 / qpstep=4 / cplxblur=20.0 / qblur=0.5 / vbv_maxrate=31250 / vbv_bufsize=31250 / nal_hrd=none / filler=0 / ip_ratio=1.40 / aq=1:1.00
Default : Yes
Forced : No

Audio
ID : 2
Format : AAC
Format/Info : Advanced Audio Codec
Format profile : LC
Codec ID : A_AAC
Channel(s) : 6 channels
Channel positions : Front: L C R, Side: L R, LFE
Sampling rate : 48.0 KHz
Compression mode : Lossy
Delay relative to video : -168ms
Title : Need.For.Speed.1080p
Language : English
Default : Yes
Forced : No

IO hope that you can find what is wrong with my file ( or with me…)

Thank you again

Rick

looks like the file extension is wrong … Matroska is MKV  (see below)

try renaming it to … Need.For.Speed.mkv

If that doesent work, then try remuxing it with mkvmerge (will only take a couple of mins, no video or audio quality loss)

download and extract this: http://www.mediafire.com/download/sx9kyakgy3q8yuw/mkvmerge.zip

double click mmg.exe and drag’n’drop the file into the top Input files window … then click ’ start muxing

eg.

General
Unique ID : 183985345527835849646086319475887943905 (0x8A6A49E3871FB580987208BAD377B0E1)
Complete name : B:Need.For.Speed.1080p\Need.For.Speed.mp4
Format : Matroska
Format version : Version 4 / Version 2
File size : 2.49 GiB
Overall bit rate : 2 725 Kbps
Movie name : Need.For.Speed.1080p
Encoded date : UTC 2014-07-12 14:21:02
Writing application : mkvmerge v7.0.0 (‘Where We Going’) 64bit built on Jun 9 2014 15:16:27
Writing library : libebml v1.3.0 + libmatroska v1.4.1

a “True” MP4 looks like this …

General
Complete name                  : E:\ALL\movie.mp4
Format                                   : MPEG-4
Format profile                      : Base Media
Codec ID                               : isom
File size                                : 2.81 GiB
Duration                               : 2h 5mn
Overall bit rate mode          : Variable
Overall bit rate                      : 3 199 Kbps
Encoded date                       : UTC 2014-03-21 18:19:10
Tagged date                         : UTC 2014-03-21 18:19:10

1 Like

You were right Joey Smyth. I didn’t know how to see media info but with this tool, It will be very easy to know what the problem is with my other video files.

Thank you very much for your help

Rick

Since a couple of weeks my WD Tv live act realy weird. It worked since the last upgrade, last year great. But suddenly it freezes, sometimes it won’t start, very slow after some time, etc etc. A couple of times I did a reset to factory defaults But withouten any succes. Finaly rolled it back to the earlier firmware and everything is working just fine now. Very, very strange I think.

Same here, I’ve had this firmware for quite some time and rarely had issues in the past… except for the past few weeks.

I tried rebooting all of my network devices and the problem goes away for a day or so… now it’s time to rollback.

Guess I won’t be buying a WD media player in the future with the lack of firmware updates for what I have now…

@JoeySmyth Thank you so much for the clear and concise directions.

I was able to downgrade on my first try.

I was experiencing either freezing of the unit or the warning message of System Memory Running Low.

I would previously just reboot the box, but sometimes the problem came back with in minutes of streaming certain files.

I am not sure but I think the type of file you stream might cause the freezing problem to be more prevalent.

I am hopeful from reading many of these posts that this downgrade should help the System Memory Running Low and freezing issues.

Thank you again for taking the time to create the files and procedure to perform the downgrade.

no probs

Thanks for this. I hadn’t upgraded the firmware in my WDTV since buying it and made the mistake of getting curious about 2.02.32. Huge mistake. It froze frequently, stopped reading the external drives on my USB hub, won’t play all the video formats when it did work. I then tried custom firmware - WDLXTV. It worked but it was ssslllloooowww…the normal WDTV is slow enough but with WDLXTV…it was “hit a button wait 20 seconds, then hit the next button and wait…”. Used this rollback and “bam” my WDTV works again.

I have 2 the same WD TV Live. Both have the same problem, freezing. firmware (02.02.32). I made a roll-back the firmware version 2.1.86.
One works ok, others blocked: Image: http://i.imgur.com/Eb9Ydj4.jpg
Help, what do I do?

Try another freshly formatted stick with only the rollback files on the root dir.

When doing these manual upgrades (or downgrades) it is important to remember to turn on “Auto Detect New Firmware” in the System Setup. I spent a few hours scratching my head over this because I had turned that off to prevent the annoying “New Firmware” announcement that was for 2.02.32. Just something to check.

Thank you for this. After hours off head bashing I came across this and it solved my problem with a failed update. NOTE though, although my wireless connection was operational, when I (risked) doing an online update to the latest version (2.03.2 for me), for some reason, it did NOT work at first, but after resorting to using an Ethernet cable to the router, it did complete. I did a reset, then re entered my wireless credentials, and now everything works fine. THANK YOU. From John in the middle of the UK.

I have tried everything listed above. Multiple USB sticks formatting to FAT32. However I never get it to recognize I have new new firmware on the USB stick. When I look at disk manager via the WDTV Media Hub setup menu, it does think the usb drive is VFAT. I am at a dead end. Any suggestions?

Well, if you have a Hub, this whole thread is irrelevant to you! Different hardware, different firmware!