2.01.86 problems with Network Shares

Looking for an update on this thread

http://community.wd.com/t5/WD-TV-Live-Streaming-Issues/Firmware-2-01-86-is-BAD-do-not-upgrade-to-it/idi-p/638793

I had to reset my firmware back to 1.6.13 so I wouldn’t lose my network shares

Have the WDTV developers done work on a new revision to fix these problems?

thanks

Jeff

JRFishman wrote:

Looking for an update on this thread

http://community.wd.com/t5/WD-TV-Live-Streaming-Issues/Firmware-2-01-86-is-BAD-do-not-upgrade-to-it/idi-p/638793

I had to reset my firmware back to 1.6.13 so I wouldn’t lose my network shares

Have the WDTV developers done work on a new revision to fix these problems?

thanks

Jeff

No - they haven’t

I’m really stunned that the WDTV developers haven’t made this their top priority in a new fix.  I mean probably 90+ percent of our users are windows users and most of them use network shares (instead of DLNA Server Software or physically attached drives). 

JRFishman wrote:

I’m really stunned that the **bleep**TV developers haven’t made this their top priority in a new fix.  I mean probably 90+ percent of our users are windows users and most of them use network shares…

Keep in mind, though, that a lot of users don’t have any problems.  So it could be a very difficult problem to track down.  It’s not even clear what percentage of users are affected by the issue.

It’s certainly not affecting everyone.  In the grand scheme of things, it may not be affecting many at all.

Tony 

“I’m really stunned that the **bleep**TV developers”

First of all I did not use any ‘bleep’  to refer to the developers.  My original text was “I’m really stunned …”.  I’d rather not cause any contention between me and the development staff.  As a former IT Executive (with 25 years of experience in the industry), I know how much pressure development staffs are under. 

And I am one of many people who have complained of this.  If this is my problem how come no other PC applications and no other Smart Phone/Tablet Apps have issues with this. 

Heheh! I have no idea why the forum censored that word. :slight_smile: no, I didn’t change the word and didn’t even notice it myself.

No problem Tony.  

Don’t want to make anymore enemies :smileyvery-happy:

JRFishman wrote:

most of them use network shares (instead of DLNA Server Software or physically attached drives). 

You know that how?

Makes sense that most people use network shares.  All of the users I’ve been in contact with know use Network shares rather than a hard wired or attached storage method.   Some have NAS boxes, but everybody I know says they use Network Shares. 

To me this is a  bit of an indictment of WDTV’s ongoing support.  When all of my other devices (smartphone, tablet, other pc’s) and their assiociated apps and applications have no problems, I have to assume that the WDTV is the culprit. 

Hey I love the product and the wide breadth of formats it supports.  But for to to have problems with shared drives is unacceptable

JRFishman wrote:

I’m really stunned that the WDTV developers haven’t made this their top priority in a new fix.  I mean probably 90+ percent of our users are windows users and most of them use network shares (instead of DLNA Server Software or physically attached drives). 

just a thought, we don’t actually know what WD has or has not done

I’m pretty sure they are aware of the issue, but we don’t get updates till they are completed

next update could be tomorrow or it could be 6 months from now

we don’t know what they have completed or what they are in the process of fixing/adding to the firmware

so I wouldn’t say that it’s not a priority or that nothing has been done

more accurately, we don’t know