2.0 channel AAC audio in mkv file / digital output

Does anybody know how the WD TV Live Plus handles mkv files with a 2.0 channel stereo AAC audio track, when the output is via optical s/pdif cable?  Will it output the AAC bitstream, or will it convert it to 2.0 channel PCM audio?

I’m encoding DVDs with 2.0 channel AAC tracks and haven’t got the WD TV Live Plus yet, so I’m wondering if they’ll be compatible.  Some of the mkv files have only the 2.0 channel AAC track and some have a 2.0 channel AAC track, plus a second 5.1 AC3 track.  I have an old receiver with optical inputs that will decode AC3 and DTS (and PCM), but not AAC.

dave3 wrote:

Does anybody know how the WD TV Live Plus handles mkv files with a 2.0 channel stereo AAC audio track, when the output is via optical s/pdif cable?  Will it output the AAC bitstream, or will it convert it to 2.0 channel PCM audio?

I’m encoding DVDs with 2.0 channel AAC tracks and haven’t got the WD TV Live Plus yet, so I’m wondering if they’ll be compatible.  Some of the mkv files have only the 2.0 channel AAC track and some have a 2.0 channel AAC track, plus a second 5.1 AC3 track.  I have an old receiver with optical inputs that will decode AC3 and DTS (and PCM), but not AAC.

The Live Plus will convert the 2.0 AAC to 2.0 PCM and output that via Optical, so your files should work fine.

There may be issues with 5.1 AAC being bitstreamed incorrectly. It used to be downmixed, same as 2.0 AAC, but recent firmwares screwed it up.

Thanks for the info.  Do you know if it will handle MP3 audio in mkv files output via optical, also?

dave3 wrote:

Thanks for the info.  Do you know if it will handle MP3 audio in mkv files output via optical, also?

It certainly does!

Thank you PixelPower and Lunar07.

I just ordered a WD Live Plus from Amazon for $98.54, and a pair of 2 TB WD Elements drives for media storage for $89.99 each, so we’ll see how it works out.

It was either the WD Live Plus or a Boxee Box.  :slight_smile:

dave3 wrote:

Thank you PixelPower and Lunar07.

I just ordered a WD Live Plus from Amazon for $98.54, and a pair of 2 TB WD Elements drives for media storage for $89.99 each, so we’ll see how it works out.

It was either the WD Live Plus or a Boxee Box.  :slight_smile:

I am planning on getting the 2 TB elements also.  Please make sure to check the posts here that deals with how WD unit expects this drive to be formatted.

Thanks for the tip.  I plan to hook the drives up to my PC and share them over the network.  Well, I’ll share one of them, the other is for a backup.