1TB WD My Book World Edition White Light Has Stopped Working

Hi there, hope you are all well and can help me figure this out.

I have been using this network drive for many years and all have been great. Until two days ago i tried to access it and the drive was not connected.

The state of the drive at the moment is connected to the power and to my router with the white light on only on the bottom of the stripe.

The power and reset buttons don’t seem to work. Whichever i press have no effect on the white light.

I also tried turning off/on the the power supply but i cannot see it getting an ip address when i login to my router.

Finally I tried connecting it directly to a computer using the ethernet ports with the WD Link/Discovery tools but nothing.

I cant afford to loose the my data.

Does anyone know what the problem might be and how it can be fixed?

Also, if I open it up is there another way to connect to the drive (not via ethernet)?

I have been looking around the internet but didn’t find something.

Any help would be grateful.

Thanks in advance

Hi, welcome to the community.

If the drive does respond to any of the troubleshooting you have performed is safe to assume that it might be damaged. If you open the enclosure you will fine a SATA hard drive which you can connect to a computer, you could try connecting to a Linux computer and see if you can gain access to the data. Another way would be to connect the drive to a Windows computer and use some sort of software to attempt to recover the data.

Did anyone find a solution to this - it’s a long time ago but I think my unit has just bricked in the same way as described above.

Ours has just done the same.

As has mine as well. I started a new thread in hopes of getting a fix. Anyone have any suggestions?

Check the power supply unit!!