1TB Passport Essential SE USB 3.0 PS3, please help!

Hi guys,

Just recently bought the drive to watch movies with my Playstation 3 slim.

However I really cannot get it connected.

I have tried everything:

• FAT32 formatted.

• set to primary/logical.

• set the Music/Photo/Video folders.

• I even bought Kensington AC powered USB Hub and still not working.

Seems both the drive and PS3 each are working normal.

The passport is working great in my windows 7 laptop and XP office PC.

Reformatted like million times,checked the partition and only 1 is available,no VCD,drive password etc. Super clean!

And the PS3 is also normal, have tried plugged in my cell phone, and it can detect and read/write files from the phone’s memory card!!

When I connect the WD, the small light turned on, and I can feel it spinning, but nothing showing on the XMB.

I am sure its not power issue since I have tried USB hub and as you can see in the pic,the light is on.

(Also my PS3 is charging the DS3 properly). 

What I do suspect is that there is some problem with latest PS3 fw 3.70, because the passport is also not working with my friend’s PS3 fat (I heard the fat usb port can supply more power compared to slim). 

Please help me as I am getting crazy because of this.

PIC 1

PIC 2 

Even when formatted as FAT32 the Essential line may not work on a PS3 due to the firmware made for computer use. Try a more generic drive like an Elements or the AV Passport made precisely for PS3 use.

The offical confirmation that the 1TB is not workign with the PS3 was given yesterday in this thread :frowning:

http://community.wdc.com/t5/My-Passport-for-PC/Offical-confirmation-requested-1TB-Harddrive-working-with-game/td-p/260616

FalloutX wrote:

The offical confirmation that the 1TB is not workign with the PS3 was given yesterday in this thread :frowning:

http://community.wdc.com/t5/My-Passport-for-PC/Offical-confirmation-requested-1TB-Harddrive-working-with-game/td-p/260616

Yeah, it has been told for awhile now. Try an Elements though, the more basic the drive the more chances to work.