1tb Passport essential picked up on USB 2.0 not 3.0

As the subject says, my PP Essential, 1tb, 2.0/3.o USB capable, can currently be picked up by my 2.0 ports, but not my 3.0 port. It works on my son’s ASUS 3.0 port with no problem.

My computer (company computer) is running Win7, 16gb memory, Dell M6500.  Nice little toy.

I’m trouble shooting problems our folks have had with this computer type, and this is a new problem.  Not certain if it would be the WD driver (have done the updates from the site), the computer itself, or if the 3.0 capability has not been turned on (still checking how to check).

Bottom line question, is there a separate driver to run the drive on 3.0 vice the 2.0?

If so, where can I get it?

Thanks much!

V/r,

Dave

GySgt USMC Ret.

The USB 3.0 is buggy as far as I’m concerned. There seems to be a lot of conflicts with other software like web cams and sound cards. It may need to be enabled in Bios. If it’s an addon card you should see if the card maker has any new software or drivers for it. Try looking in the Device Manager and it should show there. Check the drivers on the USB controllers too.

Joe

daveokinawa wrote:

Bottom line question, is there a separate driver to run the drive on 3.0 vice the 2.0?

If so, where can I get it?

Thanks much!

V/r,

Dave

GySgt USMC Ret.

Nope.

You can update the drivers for the usb controller or try downloading the SES drivers. 

SES Driver Download