1TB My Book HDD continues to compile/scan when plugged into WD TV Live Streaming Media Player

Hello,

I’m having an issue when I plug my 1TB My Book HDD into my WD TV Live Streaming Media Player. When I plug my HDD into my WD TV Live SMP via the USB cable it continues to compile/scan my HDD for hours on end, so long in fact I have never see it finish, I’ve stopped it ‘compiling’ every time.

After I type in my password to unlock my HDD, it takes about 10/15 seconds then the ‘compiling media library’ message is displayed at the top of the TV screen and that’s all that happens.

I originally thought that it was my WD TV Live SMP that was faulty or damaged and when I rang WD support, they to believed that it was the media player not my HDD. So I returned my WD TV Live SMP and got another WD TV Live SMP, but after setting up the new WD TV Live SMP and plugging in my HDD it to continued to ‘compiling media library’ for hours. I then thought that it might be the cable (that connects my HDD to the media player) that might be damaged or faulty, I inspected the cable very carefully but couldn’t find any damage, but I was still optimistic and thought that maybe one or a number of wires inside the cable could be damaged. So I bought another, exact WD cable, plugged that into my HDD and into my WD TV Live SMP and again, same story, compiling for hours and never looking like stopping.

It’s very strange, I understand that 1TB is quiet large and do expect my WD TV Live SMP to compile/scan for a short period of time but not for hours. My HDD does have fair amount of content saved on it, but is nowhere near maximum capacity. It’s also odd that my HDD works great when plugged into my computer and have never had any issues with it.

My computer is running Vista and my 1TB is up to date with the latest firmware, version 1.5.1.6

I know I can format the HDD, which might clear out any problems or issues, but I also don’t want to lose any of my saved date. I also know that can change/alter the ‘processing rate’ so that it will be more compatible with media players, but would that affect it’s storage size or affect its abilities with my computer?

It would be greatly appreciated if anyone can think of some helpful advice or have experienced a similar issue and managed to resolve the problem.

Cheers

Hi there, just curious but did you try enabling hidden files and deleting the hidden wdtv folder in the drive? That tends to solve compiling problems…

ThePizzaMatrix wrote:

Hi there, just curious but did you try enabling hidden files and deleting the hidden wdtv folder in the drive? That tends to solve compiling problems…

Thanks for the reply ThePizzaMatrix,

I have deleted the .wdtv folder, but how do I go about enabling hidden files?

Cheers

On a Windows explorer window click on tools> options> view> check the radial for view hidden files and folders.