1TB internal drive 08- Unable to repair bad sectors

I have a 1TB WDC WD10EALX-759BA1 in my windows 7 pc and all has been well for years. Following a freeze that necessitated power shutdown and reboot chkdsk /r indicated 4kb in bad sectors. Furthermore, restore points are no longer available (plenty of space) and disappear after successful creation due to voldnap error - shadow copy of vol (c) aborted because of IO failure on vol c event ID 14. Acronis true drive monitor showed disk health now only 99% (previously 100%) and 1 current pending sector count - degradation. The disk is Western digital so I downloaded WD diagnostic school tool and ran quick test which showed pass. Extended test however found back sectors which it could not repair and reported Fail. Test code error 08-Unable to repair bad sectors. Methinks recent bad sector issue is causing restore point/volsnap error. Advice appreciated.

Hi: mhaffy

It looks like your hard drive is failing.

Hope you have a good recent backup of the 1TB WDC WD10EALX-759BA1.

I assume that this is your Windows 7 boot drive (ie c:). + data files

Copy all your data files to and external hard drive.

Replace the 1TB WDC WD10EALX-759BA1 and restore Windows 7 and your data to a NEW 1TB hard drive.

Once that is completed and you are satisfied that the new hard drive is working properly.

Try the following.

Download Data Lifeguard Diagnostic for DOS (current version 5.27)

Follow the instructions to create a bootable USB.
Turn off you computer and remove the sata power connector from all the hard drives.
Connect the hard drive that you think may be defective.
Turn on the computer.
Set your bios to boot from a USB device.
Type dosdlg.ex

Select WRITE ZEROS TO DRIVE and do a full erase.

It should take about 2.5 hrs depending on the computer (2 to 2.5 hours per tera byte).

It not only erases the hard drive but it also checks to see if it is working properly.

If the drive is defective it will come back with an error code.

NotaCanada

Thanks for reply. Given that the pc and hard drive are nearly 6 years old I am probably going to get a new windows 10 pc before major fail to get data across from c drive. once new pc updated I may well try your tip re dos version. Many thanks

your welcome.

NotaCanada.