Cannot connect to my passport wireless at all

After i cannected to my passport wireless dashboard with windows pc and created a password for wifi and it rebooted, i cannot connect to it through wifi with neither my windows pc, nor other devices altough it shows on the wifi list, but doesn’t even ask for password just fails to connect. I can’t access dashboard with my pc aswell (mypassport’s server DNS address could not be found) is the message i get. I’ve also tried to update firmware with an sd card, which doesn’t seem to happen. And i cannot afford to restore it to factory settings all lose all the data i’ve already backed up through the cable. I need help asap as i am on assigment shooting a lot of footage in wilderness for several weeks!

A restore to factory settings will not delete your data. There is an option to restore+wipe data but no reason to do that.

Consult your copy of the owners manual on how to do a ‘factory reset without loosing data’.

@DomantasK

Which model MPW do you have? The original, or the new Pro?

Original

So do I, and I have performed a manual reset quite a few times and no data is destroyed, although the MPW needs to be setup again as if it were out of box/new.

From user manual:

You can perform a system-only reset of your drive two ways: manually and on the dashboard’s Admin page. When the drive resets, your data remains but settings such as your password return to default values.You can perform a system and disk reset on the Admin page.

Manually Resetting the Drive

For a system only reset, the battery has to have at least a 25% charge.

1. With the power ON, hold down the Power and WPS buttons at the same time for around 10 seconds until the drive reboots and the Power and Battery Status LED flashes white.
  2. Wait until the Wi-Fi LED is blue before reconnecting.

For more info, see complete online manual:

I have the same problem as well.

I had formatted my passport wireless pro and system reset (due to flashing light) and I can’t access my hard drive through wifi at all (including the my passport wifi).

If there is a possible solution, I am more than happy to accept .

Was the MPW reformatted to NTFS/HFS+ or was it to exFAT? Is the MPW broadcasting its SSID?

I think it’s best to submit a ticket with the WD support team to have someone walk through the issue with you.

it was plugged in when reformated

Settigns

exFat

2.72 tb

Default allocation size

Didn’t change the SSID Broadcasting. My wifi ssid is the same and compatible one for the Wireless Pro.

Wifi Model: Netgear Nighthawk AC1900 Smart WiFI Router

Model #R700

However, Its functioning after a system reset and a firmware update.

I appreciate your help.

Thanks

Since you have a MPW Pro (not MPW as I originally thoght) I recommend 1) make sure your device is running at least 1.02.24 firmware as that firmware has several Wi-Fi fixes: https://support.wdc.com/download/notes/WD_My_Passport_Wireless_Pro_Release_Notes_1_03_04.pdf?v=510

1. Use NTFS as your device’s file system if you are a PC user, or HFS if you are a Mac user. ExFAT has the benefit of cross platform support but also lacks journaling support.

I have installed the latest firmware on the MPWP.

I would like to ask you if there is a way to change the format In windows instead of formatting the MPWP.

Thank you, I appreciate your help.

Do you mean to change the format of MPW Pro without reformatting? If so, I don’t know if there is a way to do that.

Btw, I personally also recommend doing a clean reset after new firmware install to reset the indexer just to be certain.

The new firmware is installed after system reset and format. it is the latest one since 17/4/17.

And with reference to the question I had said, it is what I have meant. (Refering to the message about format)

The hard drive is running smoothly. It was the amount of memory (RAM) causing the hard drive to have problems because there was scans going and I forgot to stop scanning.

I’ll report to you if there is any sort of failure.

Thanks, I appreciate your help again.

7 months later, I could not get access to my MPW Pro. There were constant blue flashing lights and startup errors. No physical damages found.

Please respond if a solution is found.