Secure Erase Failed on Western Digital Blue 1TB Drive. Firmware repair help needed please

Hello

I mistakenly performed a Secure Erase on a Western Digital Blue 1TB Drive using Parted Magic  hdparm command.

This mistake was compounded by a power failure meaning the Secure Erase was interupted.

Now my WD10jpvt-22a1yt0 drive fails Western Digital Data Lifeguard SMART short and extended Tests… 

I am not interested in recovering data from the drive as I had a second clone of the data.  

I am interested in fixing the drive.

I "think* that the drive firmware may have been corrupted. 

There are no Firmware updates available on the WD firmware page for this drive.

The drive is still under Limited Warrenty but since the Secure Erase was interrupted I do not know the drive is clean of my personal and business data.  Western Digital Data Lifeguard secure erase fails on this drive. 

WD10jpvt-22a1yt0 firmware / repair help needed please.

Thanks.

Colesdav.

The secure erase command, when interrupted by a power cycle, should resume the secure erase command when power is re-applied. Just keep power applied long enough to allow the secure erase command to complete. I think it may take a few hours.

Hello 

Thank you for your response. I put the disk inside a usb3.0 / SATA removeable drive enclosure and connected it to my PC via USB3.0 interface. The drive was left connected to power overnight. Unfortunately this has not helped in my case. I am still unable to initialise the Disk. I will upload images next to show what is happening. 

Thanks

Colesdav.

Here are some screenshots showing what is happening when I try to initialise the disk in Windows 8.1.

Next Step I right click on the WD Drive Tab to initialize the disk.

Next Step the initialize Disk Menu Appears: I clicked on O.K. 

Finally I see the following reported by Disk Manager.Data error (cyclic redundancy check).

I then Ran Data Lifeguard.

Here is the first part of the SMART Data from the drive. The Green ticks mean everything is o.k. … 

Here is the remainder of the SMART Data. All Green ticks therefore all o.k.? 

Finally I ran the Data Lifeguard Disk Checks. 

Here is the summary text report.

Test Option: QUICK TEST
Model Number: WDC WD10JPVT-22A1YT0
Unit Serial Number: [Deleted]
Firmware Number: 01.01A01
Capacity: 1000.20 GB
SMART Status: PASS
Test Result: PASS
Test Time: 09:25:21, April 16, 2015

Test Option: EXTENDED TEST
Test Result: FAIL
Test Error Code: 08-Too many bad sectors detected.
Test Time: 09:25:29, April 16, 2015

Test Option: WRITE ZEROS
Test Error Code: 20- Delete Partitions error!
Test Time: 09:25:44, April 16, 2015

So in Summary - it looks like the Parted Magic Linux hdparm secure erase attempt which was cut short due to a power outage has hosed my drive. Any support / advice would be appreciated. My aim is to get the drive working again. Not so concerned about recovering the data on the drive. I think the interrupted hdparm secure erase + power outage may have caused corrupted drive firmware.

Thanks,

Colesdav. 

I knopw that my external USB3.0/SATA drive enclosure is working fine with the same drive model however my next step was to remove the drive from the USB3.0/SATA enclosure and report what happens when I connect thedrive back in to an internal PC SATA interface. Here is the result in Disk Management when I try to fortmat the drive. 

The requested operation could not be performed because of an I/O  device error. 

Here is drive shown in DataLifeguard. Again all Smart Parameters had green Ticks against them (not shown). Result of running the Disk Checks next …

Finally here is the Data Lifeguard Test Summary when the drive is connected to the SATA port on the PC. 

Test Option: QUICK TEST
Unit Serial Number: [Deleted]
Test Error Code: 06-Quick Test on drive 2 did not complete! Status code = 07 (Failed read test element), Failure Checkpoint = 102 (Unknown Test) SMART self-test did not complete on drive 2!
Test Time: 10:51:28, April 16, 2015
Test Option: EXTENDED TEST
Test Error Code: 08-Too many bad sectors detected.
Test Time: 11:08:47, April 16, 2015
Test Option: WRITE ZEROS
Test Error Code: 20- Delete Partitions error!
Test Time: 11:09:12, April 16, 2015

Here is the log file from what I did in Parted Magic plus some additional comments from me. I was actually trying to run hdparm secure erase on an SSD, it wasn’t accepting the hdparm commands at all so i tested the commands on my WD Drive in the same SATA bay.  Unfortunately the WD drive was loaded with the same drive path as the SSD I had just removed i.e. /dev/sde  … This illustrates the danger of using a keyboard where the up arrow is just below the return key and you are working at 4:00 a.m. in the morning. Hope you all have a good laugh. 

Parted Magic Log. 

=============

root@partedmagic:~# echo I now insert my WD 1TB Backup Drive and check what the hdparm commands do with it
I now insert my WD 1TB Backup Drive and check what the hdparm commands do with it
root@partedmagic:~# echo I see the WD Drive in the Device-Storage-System Information Window
I see the WD Drive in the Device-Storage-System Information Window

root@partedmagic:~# lshw -class disk
*-cdrom
description: DVD-RAM writer
product: BD-RW BDR-208M
vendor: PIONEER
physical id: 0.0.0
bus info: scsi@5:0.0.0
logical name: /dev/cdrom
logical name: /dev/dvd
logical name: /dev/sr0
version: 1.10
capabilities: removable audio cd-r cd-rw dvd dvd-r dvd-ram
configuration: ansiversion=5 status=nodisc
*-disk:0
description: SCSI Disk
bus info: scsi@10:0.0.0
logical name: /dev/sda
configuration: sectorsize=512
*-disk:1
physical id: 0.0.1
bus info: scsi@10:0.0.1
logical name: /dev/sdb
*-disk:2
physical id: 0.0.2
bus info: scsi@10:0.0.2
logical name: /dev/sdc
*-disk:3
product: MS/MS-Pro
vendor: Generic-
physical id: 0.0.3
bus info: scsi@10:0.0.3
logical name: /dev/sdd
version: 1.03
serial: 3
capabilities: removable
*-medium
physical id: 0
logical name: /dev/sdd
*-disk
description: ATA Disk
product: WDC WD10JPVT-22A
vendor: Western Digital
bus info: scsi@7:0.0.0
logical name: /dev/sde
version: 1A01
serial: [Deleted.].
size: 931GiB (1TB)
capabilities: partitioned partitioned:dos
configuration: ansiversion=5 sectorsize=4096 signature=efcfb187

root@partedmagic:~# echo this time all of the disk information is seen and the disk is mounted properly
this time all of the disk information is seen and the disk is mounted properly
root@partedmagic:~# echo it is mounted on /dev/sde
it is mounted on /dev/sde

Comment - I meant to do this - set a security erase password and see what was returned. 

=================================================================

root@partedmagic:~# hdparm --user-master u --security-set-pass PASSWORD /dev/sde
security_password=“PASSWORD”

/dev/sde:
Issuing SECURITY_SET_PASS command, password=“PASSWORD”, user=user, mode=high

Comment - I did not mean to do this … Instead of hitting up arrow once more my finger hit the return key.

===========================================================================

root@partedmagic:~# hdparm --user-master u --security-erase PASSWORD /dev/sde

/dev/sde:
Issuing SECURITY_ERASE command, password=“PASSWORD”, user=user

Then, I had a power cut!

==================

On rebooting the PC into Parted Magic and trying to issue a secure erase command again I see this:

======================================================================== 

root@partedmagic:~# hdparm --user-master u --security-set-pass PASSWORD /dev/sde --verbose

/dev/sde:
Issuing SECURITY_SET_PASS command, password=“PASSWORD”, user=user, mode=high
SECURITY_SET_PASS: Input/output error

Solved. 

I re-issued the secure erase command and this restarted the secure erase on the drive. 

I left the secure erase to run and the secure erase completed.

The drive is fixed and worked ok after that.

great news… for the next time try easeus partition master home edition instead of windows disk utility :slight_smile:

OK, I think I found out why this happened to you, because I just fixed it on mine. In parted magic, the secure erase function locks the drive as part of the procedure to erase. Specifically, it locks it to a mode called SEC4. If SEC4 is turned on it is locked with a password and it will deny all I/O attempts, but declare itself as a drive. When you killed the secure erase, as I did too, it stayed in SEC4.

So here’s the command you can use in partedmagic or any linux that has hdparm command to recover it:

hdparm --user-master u --security-unlock “Secret” /dev/sdb

NOTE: The secret is the word password if you used parted magic secure erase by default.

I learned this by googling SEC4 after seeing it shown in the selection dialog hover box in parted magic secure erase. After doing this and rebooting the computer, parted magic can now play with the drive.

“The disk or SSD is now in the SEC5 security state (if it were turned off, this would be SEC3). In this state, you can do two things with the device: block it for all I/O or erase it completely. The lock is automatically applied after a reboot. The SSD does not allow any data I/O (state: SEC4) until a SECURITY_UNLOCK command is issued stating the password, either directly at the BIOS prompt (if the drive is required for booting) or with hdparm, which of course, requires an operating system and is thus only suitable for additional data disks”

And finally, I did have to do another secure erase after that command to finish the job. But I was able to recover quickly within an hour of the original mistake.