Cannot connect to my CloudMirror device

Hi I hope you can help me, this is actually the third time that I describe my problem in the last 30 minutes (first 2 trying to open a support case with the folks in WD support team! → lesson learned, the support portal kind of ■■■■■!) “sorry I had to get it out of my chest!”

Basically I have 2 problems:

1st: When I try to connect to my device from the Internet (that is NOT my home) through the desktop app or the mycloud.com portal, error messages appear and I can’t see my content. After I login with mycloud credentials, I actually can see my device listed, but when I hit the “connect” button, nothing happen. Only errors and warnings.

This have been going on since a couple of weeks now, I’ve checked the settings and everything says “OK” and “Internet Access verified” so no misconfigurations from that part. Also the firmware is updated. I have to add that @home the apps (android and desktop) and the mycloud.com site are working fine.

2nd: I cannot install the desktop app in my W10 laptop. In the middle of the installation process it shows an error and the wizard stops abruptly. Although this laptop almost never leaves home, I do have access to my content through the mycloud.com site and as a NAS mapped device. But when this laptop leaves home then it’s problem#1 all over again.

I’ve checked every possible forum and threads and I haven’t found the solution for either of my problems, so any help or comment you can direct my way, I’ll be very appreciate it.

Rehgards

Hi, have you checked if port 80 and 443 are open in your home network?

Actually,

For the inbound connections (Internet → home LAN)

I have port 80 redirected to the CloudMirror device in order to have access to the management from Internet.

And port 443 I have it redirected to another device inside my LAN, also to have the config management available from Internet.

For the outbound connection (home LAN → Internet) both ports are open of course.

I see where you were going and I just disable both ports, still no connection form the Internet to the device.

Hello community, I hope everyone is fine.

After a couple of emails with WD support team (I’ll take back the comment about them in my first post) I kind of hit the solution to my connection problems.

I’ll summarize the final solution that I detected

So, the basic solution provided by WD support team (after troubleshooting the basic configurations) was to hard reset the WD appliance (with the paperclip)

I did it and it worked fine, I tested the connections to the WD appliance from my LAN (web portal and desktop app) as well as from Internet, both cases the communication was successful.

After that, I started to configure all the features “erased” by the hard reset. Among those features was the “Dashboard Cloud Access” which basically allows me to hit the management site for the appliance from Internet.

Next step was to forward the port 80 to the WD appliance’s IP address in my perimeter Firewall, so I did it.

After doing that, everything went to hell again, no access from Internet (web portal or desktop app).

At first I thought “well this option is obstructing the communication from the Internet, I’ll just disable it…”

When I went to disable it, I took a better look at the information displayed in the “Information” globe right next to it:

So what I realized is that SOMEHOW (a technical explanation would be very very very appreciate it in this point) when this option is “ON” the device communicates to my Firewall/Router that all http incoming requests from external IPs, it’s going to be handle by the WD device. So no need to port forwarding rule in my Firewall.

So finally, I deleted the “extra” rule in my FW, because I’m figuring some kind of collision is happening creating this all mess. And so far the deployment it’s working 100% great.

Anyway, if you guys remember this was only the part 1 of the issue. Part #2 is that I can’t install the desktop app in my w10 laptop. Any help there?

Regards.