Connect across different networks

My home network is somewhat complicated.
FIber ONT
watchguard xtm22

• 8 port gigabit switch - PC, DVR(2), MyCloud, printer, home security system (192.168.1.0)
  • 5 port 10/100 switch - 3 wireless AP (192.168.2.0)
  • 5 port gigabit switch - RPi, Xen Host (3 nic) (10.0.0.0)

I know that even with me forwarding everything through the firewall the MyCloud will not connect with any of my wireless devices. (different nets)

I am also aware that setting a static IP can be problematic for the MyCloud device as well

My networking knowledge/skills are my weakest point which is why I’m asking for assistance.
Can I edit the /etc/network/interfaces file to set not only a static ip (hopefully skipping the difficulty that people have had by bypassing the UI) and set an alias interface with an ip on my wireless networks range

I do have 1 additional gigabit port available on my firewall so I could put the mycloud on that and do something in the firewall there as another solution

(dont have my actual /etc/network/interfaces so best guess)

auto eth0
allow-hotplug eth0
iface eth0 inet static
address 192.168.1.102
netmask 255.255.255.0
gateway 192.168.1.1

auth eth0:0
allow-hotplug eth0:0
iface eth0 inet static
address 192.168.2.254
netmask 255.255.255.0

If you want to do sub-interface, you would get into vlan tagging which is a totally different monster. Probably doable if the switches support it, but without network skills too hard.

however…
1- Static problematic on mycloud? Where did you get that from? That is probably the best thing you can do, assign a static IP to a NAS on ANY environment.

2- Beside forwarding everything thru the firewall, if clients and NAS are in different networks, you need routes/routing. In a few words, 192.168.1.0 needs to know how to get to whatever network the NAS is at. At the same time, the network for the NAS has to know how to get back to the client. You provided the network ranges in used, however, not how is all connected and who are the default gateways for each.

But start with pinging across each network. If those fails, you might need to add routes and/or FW rules.

And finally, you will not be able to access the dashboard outside the NAS network, shares yes.

Why have you got your three switches on different subnets? If they truly are switches (and not routers), can you not assign all devices to have IP addresses on the same 192.168.0.xxx subnet?

Why is one switch using Class A addresses and the other two Class C?

I’ve done vlan tagging - but my switches don’t support it (thought about that) - I may create the bridge in the firewall and use the two ports that do home network and wireless together and use a common dhcp set (probably best answer)
Shabuboy:

1. I remember reading on the forum at one point about the mycloud being touchy with static ip addresses (I’ve just used a reservation on the UTM to handle that) - I agree about servers being static ips

2. I have the routing setup in the firewall (in an attempt to get it working its routing all<->all) - I can ping all devices from any of the 3 networks and but none of my wireless devices can access the mycloud shares (might be a windows thing)

cpt_paranoia
Probalby right about joining the wireless and hardlined networks together
The class c address are my home devices while the class a address set is for my Xen homelab (beefy HP 380G6) - It needs to be kept isolated so I can run the windows server as a ADDC plus the various services there of - very careful of the ports that route to my other networks as well as outside

If you can ping (also try ping both directions to check for fw rules, ping = icmp protocol), then routing is fine and devices can see each other. It would be just a matter of FW TCP rules, either the FW device and/or software firewall/IPtables on servers/PCs/etc.

or I could just have an ID-10-T error moment and not type in the share address properly.

Stupid forward/backward slash stuff - linux vs windows

1 Like

oh yeah, those! Thanks for the laugh! :joy:

All of my servers at home/work run linux (with the exception of 1 each) - so switch back and forth can be annoying - that and my reliance on tab completion