WD15EARS Failing but still passing DL test?

I have a WDC 15EARS that is giving bad sectors and flat out doesnt respond at times yet its passing the DL diagnostic? I am steadily losing data.

SMART ATTRIBUTES:
 ID	Description Value Worst Threshold Raw Value                  
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
  1	Raw Read Error Rate 199 198 51 67916                    
  3	Spin Up Time 184 179 21 5783                      
  4	Start/Stop Count 100 100 0 61                        
  5	Reallocated Sector Count 197 197 140 21                        
  7	Seek Error Rate 200 200 0 0                         
  9	Power On Time 71 71 0 21364                     
 10	Spin Retry Count 100 253 0 0                         
 11	Calibration Retry Count 100 253 0 0                        
 12	Power Cycle Count 100 100 0 54                        
192	Power off Retract Count 200 200 0 43                        
193	Load Cycle Count 137 137 0 189596                    
194	Temperature 117 99 0 33 C                      
196	Reallocation Event Count 180 180 0 20                        
197	Current Pending Sector Count 195 195 0 1306                      
198	Uncorrectable Sector Count 200 198 0 0                         
199	UltraDMA CRC Error Count 200 200 0 0                         
200	Write Error Count 195 164 0 1010

I mean seriously isnt this thing bad enough for warranty return?

If you request the RMA ( replacement ) WD should replace the unit for you. Or you can request that online on the following link

http://websupport.wdc.com/rdsfdc.asp?linktype=rmacreate&portaltype=wd&custtype=end&fs=&ss=&lang=en

2 Likes

Ya that looks bad and i bet they will gladly RMA the drive for you if they see your log.

I’m in the middle of an RMA with a similar drive and i only wish i contacted them a LOT sooner.

Do yourself a favour and get a hold of tech support etc

Don’t wait any longer.

Things are what they are so I’m going to avoid any commentary about drive quality.

oops i guess i didn’t lol

I feel for you… bad drive situations are just aweful :frowning:

and good luck.

and ya me too with the drive diag tool from WD…

My drive passed it everytime all along until recently where it finally showed an erorr code etc.

When i was having the drive disapear randomly or the machine freezing reading data and the event viewer log to match up a slew of disk errors combined with smart errors codes that could *seem to be fixed with various repair methods yet would only roar back with a vengeance.

1 Like

Thank you, yes thats exactly what mine has done off and on it will be trucking along fine and then wham, its like it shut off. No matter which of my machines I have it in or what os it runs under. Finally its starting to get an increasing # of bad sectors 3 days ago it was just 13, now its up to 21. While not a lot, on top of everything else…

I have Aida64’s sensor panel on my desktop 24hrs a day and i have the temp of the drive monitored

and when the green drive starts getting wonky it disapears from sensor panel and at that exact time

there is “Disk” error messages and usualy nvidia sata wrnings and / or errors in the event viewer.

And at teh same time its usually only noticed by me because i have the Green drive more than half full of TV shows that i watch on Window 7 Media Center so the tv show i’m watching will stall and start stuttering and freezing until it passes the bad part of the file.

Funny thing is i’ve done the chkdsk and sfc commands many times and DLG from dos

and they all say they fix some stuff but it doesn’t stay fixed.

I mention all this so if other people are having the same problem they know they are not alone.

if you google search the event viewer messages (nvstor) 99% of people just blame the sata controller…

EDIT: i’ve also gone the partition route a couple times too (recreating and formatting etc) doesn’t help.

I got my replacement drive in a matter of a few days and already transfered and cloned my windows etc

I noticed a couple files would not copy over to the new drive though and i luckily could replace them so no big deal. The point is though is clearly there was / is bad sectors but no matter what i have done with whatever various tools and methods the drive will not relocate the bad sctors… the value is always zero !

which obviously there should be spare sectors that can be used for this situation.

If the drive will not get bad sectors relocated then its a paper weight lol

I also learned cloning Windows 7 is a pain in the butt lol

Had to use my Windows 7 disc (repair option)

bootsect.exe failed (run command when windows disc is loaded up by hitting shift + f10)

I thought i had cloned it before and it worked fine (like on xp) but i guess not.