15 months later and My Passport Pro 4TB Thunderbolt drive still disconnects unexpectedly following sleep

[object Object]MyPassport Pro 4TB Thunderbolt drive disconnects after sleep on my MBP. The problem seems to have gotten worse under El Capitan (Macos X 10.11.2). I’ve only had this drive 15 months and this has been a persistent problem. It occurs when the Thunderbolt cable is connected to my Thunderbolt display or directly to the Thunderbolt port on my Macbook Pro (MacBook Pro (Retina, 15-inch, Mid 2014, 500GB SSD) 2.5 GHz Intel Core i7, 16 GB 1600 MHz DDR3, NVIDIA GeForce GT 750M 2048 MB.

Hi,

Have you tried using the drive on a different computer or using a different cable?

WD external drive issue of disconnect and reconnect is hardware, not software.

Shortly after I bought my WD external drive, it began the disconnect/reconnect. Very annoying but it was still usable.
I tried various cables but it persisted.

Recently I began to think it was the connector on the drive so I was thinking of checking if i could replace the power supply board. I took it apart (very easy, does not damage the drive).

I discovered that the power supply board is not attached to the drive. It sets in a channel. The connectors touch but not firmly. How much would it cost WD to solder the pieces together?

My solution? Rubber bands on each end of the power supply and drive to hold them firmly together.
I have had one (1) disconnect reconnect beep in the past six (6) months.