Unable to access Dashboard on DL2100

I have a WD DL2100 with 2 WD red drives.

Current Firmware revision: 2.10.302

Issue:

1. Unable to access WD DL2100 via the WD My Cloud application (iPhone and Android).
  2. Unable to access WD DL2100 dashboard (I have tried many browsers internet explorer, chrome, firefox, safari using both the ip address and hostname of the WD DL2100). I get ERR_CONNECTION_REFUSED from chrome

What I have found:

1. I can map a share from my Windows 7 PC to the DL2100 to access my files. (For Example: \WDMYCLOUDDL2100\My Docs) I have already copied all of my files off the DL2100 just in case.
  2. I can SSH to the WD DL2100 AND the Logs on the WD DL2100 show that apache is failing to start. The logs also show errors related to Corrupted SSL key.

What I am having trouble with:

The latest firmware 2.10.310 (link) addresses this issue of apache failing to start.

BUT How am I supposed to update to the new firmware release if I cannot access the DL2100’s dashboard???!!!

I called WD support (Level 1): They did not have any solution. Level 1 support walked over to Level 2 support and asked, “is there a way to update firmware without using the dashboard?”… Level 2’s response, “No, the dashboard is needed.”

I find this very hard to believe that there is no other manual method of updating the firmware on the DL2100.

Environment:

1. I normally connect the DL2100 to a router which routes the 192.168.0.0 subnet. My PC is also normally connected to this router.
  2. I have tried to connect the DL2100 directly to my PC. This did not resolve the issue.

I have had to reset my DL2100 for issues, and you likely need to do the same, so here is the link to the WD directions for doing so.
http://support.wdc.com/KnowledgeBase/answer.aspx?ID=10432

Be sure power is on, and since you will lose the admin password, just type nothing in it to get into the dashboard (assuming you can see its startup screen. once rebooted.)

Report back on your success or not. Some of us may have other solutions to try.

My vote also, reset it. Power off, hold in the restet button and power on. Hold the button till it says resetting

I will reset the DL 2100 tonight and report back.

Gramps. the DL2100 does not have LED display 0like a 4100) to say anything. He should do what you said and hold the buttons in for 40 seconds or so, if the reset button-only did not fix him up.

@dan. Check with Western Digital support. I think it is possible to perform a firmware upgrade by putting the firmware update file on the root of a USB flash disk or of that does not work to create a directory named update and put the firmware file in that. Power off the DL2100, insert the USB flash drive and power-up the DL2100 then wait.

Still, check. Does anyone else know if this is possible? If this is the case then it should fix this problem.

I powered on the DL 2100. Held the rear reset button for about 5 seconds. The DL2100 powered off and powered back on.

When the DL 2100 came back up it:

1. Returned to factory defaults… (i.e. Asked me for the language, accept terms, give admin password, create users, etc.)
  2. I was able to regain access to the dashboard user interface
  3. The RAID 1 array returned with a healthy status and all of my data is still on the RAID 1 array.
  4. The firmware was still @ rev 2.10.302
  5. I was able to restore access from my mobile devices (iphone)

Lastly, I successfully upgraded the firmware manually to 2.10.310 after confirming the DL2100 was working properly post-reset.

No problems as of yet.

Thanks!

1 Like

Great, Dan, good to here the basic WD reset instructions did the job.

You kept the reset button pressed in as you powered-up DL2100? What I’ve picked up on is that you held the reset button in for 5 seconds and not 45 seconds.