11-Cable Test::Write sector error!

ok, got the dlgdiag running as admin now, and still not able to do anything with it. it now detects the physical drives, but gives 11-Cable Test::Write sector error! on any test.

Running on windows 7, fresh install now. Using DX58SO motherboard, I7 720 processor, primary drive is intel SSD, Second drive is the WD1001FALS Caviar Black 1 TB

Drives appear to be working correctly now, but I’ve only just reinstalled windows. The issues I was having were a short buzzing sound from the drive, combined with computer being unresponsive for a few seconds at random times when the drive is accessed. Also, after the computer went to sleep, the WD drive was unaccessable until a reboot.

i’ ve got the same error running on window7 64.

the system is an nvidia nforce motherboard with an intel core2 quad q8300 processor

the first drive is a wd10eads

within 30 days the system reached several time an unstable state because of drive problems

maybe i shoud switch the drive

I’ve got a question in about it to support, I figure if I don’t get an answer by monday night, I’ll ask for an RMA. I’m still getting a noise and delay occasionally from it.

i got the same problem… my motherboard is ASUS M4N78 Pro and my hard disk driver is 640G “WDC WD64 00AACS-00M3B”.i also cannot do any test  via Data Lifeguard Diagnostic for Windows.it told me 11-Cable Test::Write sector error!.

the worst problem is that my driver cannot work correctly at all!it always lost response.any programs which installed on it will randomly lost response for at least 20s.during the time,the HDD LED will keep lighting,and it seems that the HDD is reading something.and also,no files in the HDD can be readed,no floder in the HDD can be listed.i try to use Resource Monitor to see what system doing,i can see the avtivity time of my hard disk driver keeps 100%.

i tried to change another cable and SATA slot ,but it took no effect.

i am going mad!

has the WD HDD has some firmware problems which like Seagate???or more serious???

P.S.:i hav tried Windows 7 32-bit,Windows 7 64-bit,Windows Server 2008 R2,FreeBSD 8.0-RELASE,all of them were affacted by this problem.

P.S.:sometimes,i even cannot boot from this disk.it always reading something but my screen keeps black!!

The only reply from support so far has been to try a different cable. I did, with the same result. I am avoiding getting everything installed back onto the computer, as I may just have to start over.

I am getting this error on all drives I can find to test. I have tried a bunch of different cables and two different computers that are working fine???

i believe that this series of WD hard disk driver have some problems or firmware bugs which WD dont want publish.

i will request a RMA tomorrow.

P.S.my new-bought Seagate 7200.12 hard disk driver work fine.maybe i wont choose WD product anymore.

Yes, when I bought the drive, from what I’d seen, WD was the company to go with for hard drives, but from what I’m seeing here on recent threads and the complete lack of solutions, WD’s own tools not working, and even people doing RMAs having continued problems, I’m thinking I’ll go with something else for my next build.

I too am having the same problem. 

I just bought a WD 1TB  Caviar Black SATA Internal HD after a few days I started noticing that the drive would start to shut off on me.   So I downloaded the Data Lifeguard Diaganostics tool, ran it and got the 11-Cable Test::Write sector error.   I swapped cables with another drive that I know was working properly , ran the test and go the same error.  

Also I noticed that on the box the model number is listed as WD10000LSRTL, but on the drive it is WD1001FALS-40U9B0.   When I was installing the drive I noticed a odd looking piece of tape that looked like it was reused.   I didn’t think anything of it at the time, but after having my drive fail within 1 week of buying it and finding out that the Model Numbers are different, it makes me wonder if these drives were refurbished and then turned around and sold as new

I always thought that WD made quality HD, so I am shocked that this is happening with a drive that I just bought.

I am going to be returning this POS drive and I will be switching to Seagate.

I have also reproduced this issue on windows 7 machines x86 and x64 before and after trying multiple compatibility modes.  What I found was that this seems to be a bug inherent with the Data Lifeguard Diag Tool version 1.17.

I uninstalled version 1.17 and installed version 1.13 and the error(s) went away when installed and ran under compatibility mode.

I also encountered an issue when trying to use the DOS ISO Image version of the Data Lifeguard tools (Diag504fCD.iso) where when booting up to the disc I receive an error message saying that A:\ cannot be found. I already ruled out a bad CD\DVD or Burn as I also reproduced this issue using two different machines and after verifying the burn was successful.

I’m at 5 days since I responded to support that I changed the cable with no change in the errors, with no further response from them. I’ve sent a new reply to them.

where would I get the earlier, possibly working version of the diagnostic tools?

The problem is with Data Lifeguard for Windows version 1.17. I installed 1.13 and the problem stops. I have duplicated this problem on a XP Machine and Vista x64 machine.  It also happens on both external and internal drives. I tested WD My Book Elite 1TB external, WD Elements 500 GB external, and WD Black 1TB internal

In addition, it even happens when I try to test my empty media card reader in my system.

WD needs to fix Data Life Guard 1.17. Find version 1.13 and all your problems will stop.

You can download 1.13 from the WD server at this link:

http://websupport.wdc.com/rd.asp?p=sw3&t=123&lang=en&s=http://support.wdc.com/download/windlg/WinDLG.zip

Hope this helps.

Tek20 wrote:

The problem is with Data Lifeguard for Windows version 1.17. …

No, the problem, at least for me, is the drive.   The only reason I had to search out the Data Lifeguard Windows Tool is because I was having issues with my BRAND NEW HD!   I had just purchased it less than a week ago.    

I would say that the Majority of individuals who are using the Data Lifeguard Windows Utility are using it because of a actual problem. 

I still am not sure if the drive I bought from the store (in a brand new, wrapped in plasitc) is not a refurbished drive.   The model number on the drive was different than it was on the box.   Highly suspect!     If this is true, this will definitely chase some of us die hard WD fans to switch to other brands.

I’m having problems with the drive as well, the cable test error was preventing me from even testing the drive though. Using the old version of the program, quick test is finding no errors. I’m really doubting that my problem is related to bad sectors though, so I haven’t done the full test.

I tried both tests using the old lifeguard diagnostics , Quick Test took me 4 minutes on a 1TB Cavier Black drive, the hard drive made crazy noises as if the hdd was gonna explode or something during that 4 minutes.   My hdd passed the quick test.

The extended test took me 3 and a half hour, strangely enough, my hdd passed it as well.

I know there is something wrong with my  hdd, I am running vista 32 bit business.  Two days ago, when I turned on my computer, it said “A Disk Read Error Occurred.  Please hit CTRL+ALT+DELETE to restart.”

When you do what it told you, you will just end up getting the same message.

I fixed it using a vista startup disc, doing auto repair, and chkdsk /r /f.

Strangely enough, when the chkdsk finished fixing the hdd, I saw I have about 190000kb of space that’s bad sector…

Before my computer went down, my computer in my antec 900 case is really quiet. Right now, my computer makes loud noises when the hdd is working.

Two things really creepy and worth to mention are my hdd used to have 580gb free space, right now it has 707gb free space. I get a Floppy Disk Drive A in MY COMPUTER  when I don’t actually have a physical Floppy Disk Drive.  Obviously, I didn’t do anything to install that Floppy Disk Drive.

I am so confused right now.  I know there is gotta be something wrong with my four months old WD 1TB Cavier Black hdd.  I want to return it for a replacement…but don’t know if they going to allow me do that under the warranty.

Thanks Tek20,

I am running Win 7 Pro x64 and I was experiencing the exact same symptoms as you.  

I just bought a Caviar Black 1 TB hard drive to replace my current drive and decided to test this drive before switching over.  I set this drive up in an external enclosure connected to my computer via USB.  Anytime I tried to run a quick or extended test with Data Lifeguard I received the “11-Cable Test” error.

Once I downgraded from 1.17 to 1.13 I was able to successfully run an extended test on the hard drive.

Gregg

Hello ,

I’ve bought a WD15EADS (Caviar Green 1.5 To) a day ago and experienced the same behavior with the version 1.17…

I received my HDD by post , and was not very confident by using it after a simple formatting , so i decided to perform a full format using Windows 7 X64 and a full test using the Data Lifeguard tools; I got the same error message as many either with the full or quick test.

I simply decided to follow the recommandation and install the 1.13 version, the quick test is passing without any issues and i’m currently running a full test => So, no error for the moment…

Apparentyl it seems that it is only related to the version of the tools…why??? Only WD could light us on that point.

Will post later if i encounter another issue.

Yeah it’s definitely bizarre. There has to be some glitch in the 1.17 code that is causing Lifeguard to not play nicely with Windows disk management or the actual hard drives themselves.  

I already submitted a request to WD reporting this bug!

Krazylo wrote:

Hello ,

I’ve bought a WD15EADS (Caviar Green 1.5 To) a day ago and experienced the same behavior with the version 1.17…

I received my HDD by post , and was not very confident by using it after a simple formatting , so i decided to perform a full format using Windows 7 X64 and a full test using the Data Lifeguard tools; I got the same error message as many either with the full or quick test.

I simply decided to follow the recommandation and install the 1.13 version, the quick test is passing without any issues and i’m currently running a full test => So, no error for the moment…

Apparentyl it seems that it is only related to the version of the tools…why??? Only WD could light us on that point.

Will post later if i encounter another issue.

I had the same problem with the test software, This is very poor.

My problem with my drive is that it keeps dropping off line.

My test on the old version of the software says it is ok.

So I am getting very concerned.

Does anyone from Werstern Digital read these forums? if so they should be concerned about the bad publicity, I now have three 500g drives and I am begining to wish I had another Mfg…

Stewapot47

PS does anyone else have or had the same problem I had?

kevinrs wrote:

11-Cable Test::Write sector error! on any test.

combined with computer being unresponsive for a few seconds at random times

Same problem for my new Caviar Green   WD15EARS 1.5 TB. It’s crazy.

Have you find any solution for this problem?  

It’s a new drive.

It’s WD… I don’t believe…

Thanks.