1080p video playback stutters on Hub

Hi all,

I have 2 Hubs on my network and they play content from my server. One Hub is plugged in to a Gigabit switch where the server is also plugged in. The other one is in a bedroom and it’s plugged in using a Gigabit powerline adapter and this adapter is plugged in to my main router/gateway.  

The Hub on the gigabit switch plays all my movies without a problem but the one on the powerline adapter has problems playing 1080p videos. The videos are rips from my Blu-ray collection like Avatar, Captain America and Star Wars. They are all about 40-50GB each (just removed a few subtitles and tracks) and either mkv or m2ts.

Basically, the movie starts fine and then after 30 secs or so it starts to stutter and video playback is really choppy. I’ve tried turning media library off and sharing as well but nothing helps. BTW, the powerline adapter seems fine as I can get 10Mbps+ download speed on speedtest.

Any suggestions?

Thanks!

It’s because of the powerline. The speed of the connection at that specific point is gigabit, but the powerline network method doesn’t have nearly enough bandwidth to stream 1080p video.

but when i connect the same powerline to my computer my download speed is 10Mbps+  

10 megabits per second is not nearly good enough for 1080p material.

Most 1080p material (unless heaviliy re-compressed) requires anywhere from double to 4x that.

[edit:  Had the wrong word up there.]

1 Like

The videos are rips from my Blu-ray collection like Avatar, Captain America and Star Wars. They are all about 40-50GB each (just removed a few subtitles and tracks) and either mkv or m2ts.

As Tony says, if we were talking about an 8Gb rip pf a Bluray you may just manage it, but you are basically trying to stream a Full Bluray which will be about 35mbps Bitrate, thats just not happening Im afraid.

1 Like

Thanks Tony and wdtvhub for your answers. I thought I had enough but I guess I was wrong. So my only solution would be to copy these movies to an external HDD and then attach the drive to my Hub? 

Yes that will be fine.

I can stream Fully Blurays from my PC to the Hub via Cat5, I must admit only 10mbps on the Powerline is quite poor. I don’t have any myself but would have thought it would be higher than that.