Security and wlan problem (dl2100 and win8.1)

Hi!

Im not familiar with a network connection… But something is wrong with wlan (win8.1 - private network - avast is set to use private network):

WLAN

1. when connected through ethernet (laptop → router/modem), i can map DL2100 drives, use smartware etc…

2. when connected through wifi , i can only use “wd my cloud” - mapped drives are X and cannot be connected. 

a) when avast antivirus is turned ON, storage (under network) DL2100  is blinking - showing - not showing - showing - not showing - slowly (**bleep**!?)

b) when avast antivirus is turned OFF, storage (under network) DL2100 is showing all the time, but cannot be mapped or accessed through FileExplorer, only through wd my cloud software. 

• network setting: (file sharing is turned off (doesnt change anything anyway), but network discovery is turned on)

for few seconds Storage (dl2100) is there, and for another few seconds it’s not there)

• i even tried to turned off avast antivirus and the windows firewall (but still, not working, cannot connect through wifi)

• only working through ethernet

When clicking the mapped drive (when connected via wifi):

Restoring NEtwork Connections

An error oocurred while reconnecting N: to

\DL2100\MyFiles

Micorosfot Windows Network: The network path was not found.

This connection has not been restored. 

[ok]

SECURITY

1. is NAS protected? NAS is connected to the router/modem via ethernet, but can you see files via internet? I changed folders to be OFF (public settings) and added users who can use that specific directory with a password. is NAT visible to  internet? if there are some files in a public folder, can anyone who knows the real ip access to those files?

No one can get your files from the Internet unless you have specifically enabled DMZ on your router to the NAS.

Post IPCONFIG /all here once when your wireless is not connected and again with the wireless connected

ipconfig /all >wired.txt

ipconfig /all >wireless.txt

1 Like

thanks alot! by your suggestion i found the problem - i had to turn on netbios over tcp/ip and now it is working. Thanks! I was pretty frustrated already…

How do i check if the encryption is on? I dont find encryption options from dl2100…

That may not be easy to do after the fact.

Click on Help at the top of the dashboard and search for encrypt.  Only choice is Raid Mode.

As in when you setup your drive(s) you have an option to lock/encrypt the drive.  It would apear that you can not do this afterwards or toggle it on or off.

1 Like

Thanks, i think it is not encrypted by default. Something to improve on next firmware. 

Another security problem…

When Cloud access is ON, ports 80 ja 443 are open when scanning ports. How to close them? They seems to be as open when Cloud access is allowed. If i turn the cloud access off, then ports 80 and 443 dont show as open but i cannot access NAS from internet either. 

The ports should not be open from the internet.  Go to GRC.com and do shields up.  Again this assumes you do not have a public ip assigned to the dl2100, it is behind a router and not in the dmz for the router

Thats the problem. They are open. 

When I set “Cloud access” ON from Dl2100, scanners (e.g. Shieldsup) are showing ports 80 and 443 as red (open)

When i set Cloud access OFF from dl2100, Shieldsup is showing ports 80 and 443 as green (stealth). 

N_etwork setup: _

internet - modem (it is a router aswell) - Dl2100 (ethernet) - laptops, tablets, phones (wifi) 

Dl2100 has ip address which starts 192.168…  and modem(router) is set  for a DHCP server. 

Make sure upnp is off in you router

1 Like

Thanks! Yeah, i had to disable upnp from the modem/router.