Multiple Partitions and Time Machine

Hello, Yesterday I purchased one of these (2TB version) with the prime reason of using it with my MacBook Pro for general files and also for Time Machine backups. After reading various topics on the matter, it was clear that it was recommended that I partition the drive, which I did using the Drive Utility on my MacBook and partitioned it 1.5TB/500GB I then formatted the 500GB partition with the journalised format for Time Machine and formatted the 1.5TB as exFAT for general files to be accessed over the wireless link. All went well and I was able to create a Time Machine backup via the USB connection and load files onto the 1.5TB partition. But when I tried to access the drive via the wireless link, it indicates there are no files and there is no storage space. This became evident when I tried to do a firmware update and it keeps telling me I do not have enough disc space. Turning the wireless off and plugging it into either a PC or MacBook via the USB gives me full access to the exFAT partition and I can access files, so the partition seems healthy. Except the wireless side of it now refuses to acknowledge the new partitions and there is no cake image on the first page of the dashboard either. Have I bricked it as far as wireless use goes, or is there something else I have to do which has not been explained clearly? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

No, you have not! It is still working. Did you tried accessing via MyCloud or Dashboard/Web UI? If you can access it via this two, do Restore Factory Settings/System Only.

If this doesn´t help, than do System and Disk Reset. It will format you HDD so back up any files that you might have on MPW.

For reset check Manual pg. 47

Thank you foetus for your response. I should have expanded on my initial post. Whilst I am able to connect with the device via WiFi and use the various functions, but I cannot see the drive itself. After doing the partition and having the issue, I did do a full reset, made no change. The device logic board refuses to recognise the new partition.

Did you tried System and Disk reset?

Lloydc,

You have not bricked your unit. The MPW just doesn’t support having multiple partitions/volume on it. It gets very confused when you do that. I had this issue early on. A lot of things don’t work, including the Dashboard, FW updates, and ???. You just need to get it back to one partition/volume. If yo need it to work because both a Apple and Windows/PC system, I would stick with exFAT and not run Time Machine. 

I would not recommend using the unit for Time Machine because the MPW will want to stream/DLNA everything in your time machine backup folders. I don’t know of a easy way of disabling this, other than disabling Streaming/DLNA in general. 

Using either your Apple or Windows/PC - RECOMMENDED (not sure how the MPW deals with the Apple Recovery partition). , repartition the MPW as a single FAT32 or exFAT and then try the factory reset/recovery. Everything should be good after doing it. 

Enjoy!

None of these wireless drives are intended for Time Machine (including Seagate’s – they even warn against it).  Get a drive specifically intended for it, and one formatted the standard Apple way.

I don’t recommend reformatting the MPW to FAT32 – you can’t store large video files (files larger than 4GB) on it.  With an Apple computer in the mix here, best to go back to exFAT.  (PC users can also format to NTFS, but then the drive cannot be connected to a Mac without other programs on the mac that can write to it.)

These wireless drives are really intended as media storage and delivery systems, so basically use it that way.  Yea, you can store documents on it also if you want to.

Do you still have all the original folders and files that were on the MPW?

Thank you for the responses.

But just to clarify page 36 of the MPW manual (Backing up a Mac Computer).

1. If I shoose to us it for Time Machine, then it is all or nothing, I cannot partition the drive?
  2. If I go down the track of item 1, then I can only use it in USB mode?

Other questions

1. Yes I copied all the files across to another hard drive before I partitioned the drive.
  2. Why do I need the original files and folders, there did not appear to be any system folders, it was all sample media and manuals?

Let me just say that a MPW is a pretty expensive way to back up a computer – a Mac or otherwise.  I suggest a “plain vanilla” hard drive for this purpose, as they can be purchased for a lot less than a MPW.  A MPW is specialzed for media serving and with the unique SD card reader, for copying data from an SD card.  But, do what you want with the MPW – you bought it, not I.

I am a proponent of keeping original files on a HD, left on it; especially in the case of the Sample Media folder/files.  You see, during beta testing some of us had issues playing the video files, (stalling and stuttering) and as was eventually determined, they are high bitrate videos, and if you can play them without issues, they demonstrate the quality of your system, phone, tablet, network – all of it.  For example. I had trouble playing the mp4 videos at first until I put the MPW on my (gigabit) network, connected the MPW to the 2.4G signal it is to connect to, BUT connected the iPhone and iPad to the 5G signal to access the MPW on the network.  The videos play flawlessly that way. because using 5G to connect devices to the network/router eliminates one of the 2.4G signals (which is less robust than 5G) and this is enough oomph to speed things up through the home network for better results.  (Too bad the MPW cannot connect to devices and networks using 5G – maybe the next version will.)  I have a Seagate wireless drive on my network, too, and use 5G on mobile devices to access it as well.  Being on my network allows other apps and my wired WDTV to also access the MPW.

But, do what you want with the MPW – you bought it, not I…**bleep**…rather inapropriate for a so called Honored Contributor.

I purchased it for it’s intended purposes and as the WD manual implied it was possible and other forums as well, I saw that as a bonus.

You obviously love carrying lots of tech gear around with you, as I travel a lot I was hoping for the best of both worlds. So you are suggesting that I now need to carry two external drives with me.

Some things are possible, yes; and I just pointed out why it does not seem practical since there is not a “silver bullet” product that can do it all.  But, as I indicated before, it is not my place to tell you what to do  – you make the call – it’s your MPW.  You have information from the user guide and a few of us to help you decide now.

Gees your life must be sad, once you latch onto something you just can’t let it go. Yes it is my MPW, and I can make the call. I think I will toss it aside and go get a standard drive for my TM backups. I was hoping for some professional guidance.

Hey man, there is no need to be rude. We are just trying to help you out, no one is implying that you have to take our advice. If you are looking for WD staff support, than call WD Support Center.

Then please explain how repeatadly telling me it is my MPW and I can make the decision.

As a matter of fact, I did contact WD support a few days back, all they have said is they are investigating. So that was when I thought I would ask here, but that has gotten me no where, except to learn that apparently it is my MPW and I can do what I want.

Lloydc wrote:

Then please explain how repeatadly telling me it is my MPW and I can make the decision.

As a matter of fact, I did contact WD support a few days back, all they have said is they are investigating. So that was when I thought I would ask here, but that has gotten me no where, except to learn that apparently it is my MPW and I can do what I want.

It is your drive as you bought it, and yes there are limitations how you can set up and use it, perhaps they will come up with support for partitations etc in firmware and apps.

To use Time Machine you could reformat it as one HFS partitation and then use it for that and manually transfer other stuff to the same partitation. But you lose some of the things it was intended for. Just be sure you got the space on it for both. else TM backups might crash, tumb of rule: TM size minimum about 1.2 (normaly 1.5) times the backed up drive size, the rest you can use for other data.

It’s quite new this MPW, so I’m sure they will fix and add new things to in time.

2 Likes

Thank you Cekari

1 Like

Edit Title of your topic as Multiple Partitions and Time Machine, and accept Cekari post as solution, this will help other users with similar problems. Also give Cekari kudo.

1 Like

foetus wrote:
Hey man, there is no need to be rude. We are just trying to help you out, no one is implying that you have to take our advice. If you are looking for WD staff support, than call WD Support Center.

Thanks for your comments pointing out the obvious.  The guy screws up his new MPW, and then shoots the messenger.  He has been entered into my mental data bank as someone I’d prefer not to assist again.

Thanks for making my day mike, I needed the laugh. You could learn a lot from the others that offered help. Chill out dude. :slight_smile: