MPW, how much shockproof?

Our MPW was designed to being full portable, but I guess that it doesn’t have an SSD drive in order to be shockproof, then my question is: which kind of measure it has for protect the driver? And for which kind of shock it was destined for? I mean, if I bring it in the car, or in the bag meanwhile I use it, can I damaged some part of it or data stored? For example I use it with Dlna application, or for stored pictures during my photographic session and for this I have to keep it in my bag, then I should be councerned?

Like any drive, it is fragile; especially when spinning.  So. treat it like any other, and never transport it in bags etc. when running – turn it completely off.  As for running it in a car, that would be OK, if protected from sever shocks and so it won’t end up falling on the floor, of course.  This way it can be playing music, or kids can be watching videos on their devices.

I wrote a tip in this forum about getting a case for the MPW, so check out that post.

Mike27oct,

True but drives are much better now with how the drives will park their heads off the media/disks, aka ‘on the ramp’, when not being used. Most drives will park their heads a number of seconds after the last activity. The exact number of seconds varies. Anything from 7 - 30 seconds are normal for parking their heads ‘on the ramp’. The drive may continue to spin for minutes afterward until they spindown. Most WD laptop drives will park their heads after 8 seconds but may vary a little between different customer/OEM configs and software loaded. Desktop drive are similar but might have longer times to park and to spindown.

Also, protecting it from shocks doesn’t mean just throw the unit into something with a lot of padding. The drive will still generate some heat and that heat will affect the internal hard disk but also battery life and charging. You really don’t want a hard disk drive getting any hotter than 50C/122F. Don’t leave your hard disk drive on your dash, on a sunny day. You will cook your data and have problems!

As with all hard disk drives, you want to keep them cool but not cold. Below freezing, <32F, will cause other problems. Also watch out for fans because they can and will generate vibrations that can also affect hard disks. They can cause long term issues with off track writes and ECC errors. So don’t mount a fan directly to a HDD and it’s mounting!

Enjoy!

Tank’s guys for your suggestion, I understood that I have turn off it every time I will carry on.

As a photographer on the go this is not good news to me.

Copying 16 GB of jpg images (4791 images) took about 1 hour 6 minutes from a Sandisk Pro 64GB SDXC Cat 10 ExFAT and ate 27% battery, so a full 64 GB data card would take about 4+ hour and use all battery and during this time you can’t move around keeping the drive in a pouch. :frowning:

Guess I have to use it as a WiFi drive only and skip the idea of SD backup until stationary and trust my NextoID until next version of the MPW.

Other than that it’s a great little tool tho.

Edit: Just as a hint, for the NextoID,  http://www.nextodi.com/product/nd2901_workflow.html