100% CPU, drive lights flashing constantly

I received an email asking me to fill in a survey: after clicking the link, it sent me to a page where I, apparently, had completed it!

Customer Satisfaction Survey

Thank you for taking our customer satisfaction survey. Your opinion is valuable in helping us provide a high standard of support and services.

Copyright © 2001 - 2015 Western Digital Corporation, All rights reserved.

Hi Paulodactyl, the survey should give you the option to rate tech support on 9 different categories. It is possible that due to an older version of flash player on your internet browser the options did not showed up. 

Except that the replacement has not arrived, and won’t until the RMA department, so I’m told, actually find an EX4 to fit!

I’ve had this problem almost since I installed this device early last year. CPU alway runs at 100%, and stays there, and the lights are flashing constantly. I’ve tried all of the suggestions, turn off cloud services, turn off IPV6 and etc., to no avail. the CPU would continue to peg at 100%. I don’t use any type of streaming services and keep that turned off as well. The web GUI runs painfully slow, requiring several minutes between screen refreshes, and sometimes it refuses to update. File transfers slowed down to about 78bytes per second making the device pretty much unusable. (I have a gigabyte network and the device is connected to a gigabyte switch.)

Well, I finally found the culprit. When I installed the device, I also installed the recommended management software on my PC. The software monitors the device and reports problems in a pop on the PC. I stopped the service for this software, “WD Drive Manager” and the drive finally settled down. I turned cloud service back on (They’ve been off for about a year now), reconnected all of my devices. The unit is responsive again, The web GUI is responsive, and file transfers are moving at about 30MB/second. Slower than I would like, but acceptable. The CPU spikes with activity, but actually settles down to 0% when it is idle.

It appears that the management software is extremely chatty, consuming way too many resources on the drive. If your drive is pegged at 100%, try un-installing or disabling the management software. 

I hope that this post helps someone else struggling with this problem.

Dave