10-bits color depth for WDTV live

I have a projector support 10-bits color depth, but only 8-bits and 12-bits wdtv live supported, can u add 10-bits option in color depth menu ?

There’s very little (if any) consumer-grade sources that have 10-bit (or even 12), so that additional mode will be useful only in a minuscule number of cases.

Yeah, actually at this moment in time there is no commercial content in anything other than 8bit available (and unlikely to ever be so).  So even the 12bit output on the Live is useless.

Good news – no one will ever notice (have you ever watched a blu-ray and thought to yourself, “Gee, they sure don’t have enough color space available on that image” :>)

mkelley wrote:

Good news – no one will ever notice (have you ever watched a blu-ray and thought to yourself, “Gee, they sure don’t have enough color space available on that image” :>)

Hmmm.   See, now you went and made me think!

I wonder if the DECODER itself could generate pixels in greater color space than the original.  

Meaning, when the MPG or VLC codec reproduces a frame, if the math used could generate more colors.  I just don’t know enough about how that stuff works.  :)

And, yes, I have seen “color banding” that no amount of “uncompression” would fix.   It’s particularly visible on my Panasonic Viera when the screen is set to “Vivid.”   If I’m watching Avatar, that very beginning opening scene where he’s soaring through clouds is particularly onerous.   So, I just stashed the original Re-Muxed M2TS stream (the 30G one) and it still did it.   So, more color (assuming the DECODER gets to pick) could relieve that by giving 4 or 16 more additional shades of each primary…