10 bit videos

I would like to put a small little question:

It is possible that the WD TV LIVE HUB media center still does not reproduce the 10-bit MKV ?

Please do not give me the usual answer “It is not in our plans for now” because I think that you would bring me to put  this other question:

How can a FREEWARE program like VLC plays them to perfection, with plenty of  “Advanced Sub Station Alpha” subtitles, as well as playback of Blu-Ray, and the WD LIVE (which costs more than 200 Euro) is quite crippled, and features useless stuff, like the games ?

What does this mean? That you can not use public domain items , and you are forced to use closed source technology?

Can I put this simplistic question, without enjoying an answer such as: “So, why don’t you watch them with VLC” ?

The WDTV decodes all video streams in hardware.  The Sigma chipset used by the WDTV doesn’t do 10-bit.

VLC doesn’t do decoding in hardware.   VLC (and other media players) do all decoding in SOFTWARE … and use a LOT of CPU resources to do so … resources a Sigma processor just doesn’t have.

So, I must assume that, from now on, I have these options:

• I can use it only for viewing deprecated videos;

• Search the 8 bit version (If it still exists);

• Have to look for other advanced solutions;

• Or even connecting my laptop via HDMI to my living room TV ?

Well, I’ll have to thank WD for helping me to spend € 200 to no avail, in that case … ^^

- I can use it only for viewing deprecated videos;

8-bit video is FAR from deprecated.  *ALL* commercial standards use 8-bit encoding.

10-bit video is a niche; as far as I know (and you can re-educate me if you like) only anime uses it with any regularity.

- Or even connecting my laptop via HDMI to my living room TV ?

Yeah, your laptop can probably decode them, but whether it actually OUTPUTS 10 bit is a whole other thing.

Well, I’ll have to thank WD for helping me to spend € 200 to no avail, 

Don’t blame WD…  The supported formats are clearly documented…  you didn’t do your homework.  ;)

Ok. you convinced me.

Can I suggest, then, to add a line in your product descriptions that goes like this ?

“WARNING: OUR PRODUCTS DO NOT REPRODUCE 10 BIT VIDEOS”

To close the case and evade posts like mine in the future. Just in case.

You know, from my point of wiev anyone should be better being safe than sorry… ^^

Thank you for everything, anyway, and excuse me if i may have been looked rude !