1 month old Mybook 1tb will not retrieve data!

Mybook ess 1TB will not allow me to retrieve my data afer previous laptop was destroyed by this new virus… It allows me to and new files, but will not let me see those! Is there a repair for this? Downloaded new drivers, and diagnostics. says it clean and not locked, but cannot retrieve any files…

Please help… :frowning:

madmark

How are you trying to retrieve the data, manually or using a software? I recommend you to browse the drive content and copy them manually.  If you cannot do that there is a chance that your My Book got infected by the virus.

the virus could have change the file properties and make them invisible

run a virus scan on the drive

you will need a recovery software like recuva if the drive is infected

The virus destroyed everything on the laptop! all programing… Downloaded the drives to new laptop, and it does not  understand it… Ran 3 different scans on drive and all says okay. Symantic opened the files and showed all that it was scaning… Is S.M.A.R.T. associated with WD?

The virus is called fakealart, and it’s not fake! Burned hard drive Ran 3 different, and RAM. Ran 3 different scans on drive and all were clean… Downloaded new drivers, but still no response…

madmark wrote:

The virus destroyed everything on the laptop! all programing… Downloaded the drives to new laptop, and it does not  understand it… Ran 3 different scans on drive and all says okay. Symantic opened the files and showed all that it was scaning… Is S.M.A.R.T. associated with WD?

about smart

again… you will need a partition recovery utility…

I used TestDisk yesterday and was able to get a partition back in shape

1 Like

I thank u very much for the info, and I’ve run the program… Just don’t know what to with it after the fact. It didn’t tell me exactly what was wrong, nor what needs to be done to repair it… Did not know SMART was part of WD, which stated there were 7 critical errors, which I thought were my laptop!!

Where do I take it from here?     

Thank You…