1.16.13 firmware cuts off right side of user interface?

I updated my WD TV Live to 1.16.13 yesterday.  Previously, there were no issues with the user interface or media in terms of aspect ratio.  After the update though, the user interface is cut off on the right-hand side [I can see the hour of the time, but nothing to the right of that].  I didn’t change any settings.  I have unplugged and re-plugged the HDMI cable, power cycled the WD TV Live, and even reset the settings to factory defaults.  The user interface is still cut off. 

The weird part is when the box first turns on, the WD TV Live logo shows up in HD and centered.  But after a few seconds, the screen goes black and the logo comes back a little but fuzzy and off-center.

Media such as videos seem to playback fine with no aspect ratio or cutoff issues.

Anyone else experiencing anything similar and/or have any suggestions or solutions?  Thank you!

Your TV is probably zoomed in, or something.

Are you SURE it’s not cut off on the other sides?

(EDIT:  Removing my description as Joey’s, below, is spot-on.) 

To adjust the screen settings for TV’s with " Overscan"

Setup > Appearance > Screen Size Calibration > 100% –  95%  – 90%  etc etc

(choose a % where All is viewable on your TV)

schwurbel wrote:

Your TV is probably zoomed in, or something.

Nope, I haven’t changed anything on my TV; everything was fine, I installed the WD TV Live update, it restarted, and the UI was cut off.

TonyPh12345 wrote:

Are you SURE it’s not cut off on the other sides?

(EDIT:  Removing my description as Joey’s, below, is spot-on.) 

Yup, it’s just the right side.

JoeySmyth wrote:

To adjust the screen settings for TV’s with " Overscan"

Setup > Appearance > Screen Size Calibration > 100% –  95%  – 90%  etc etc

(choose a % where All is viewable on your TV)

Yeah, I tried going in there and changing that, but if I zoom out so I can see everything, it’s still off center.  The entire UI is shifted off center to the right.

What I don’t understand is if everything was fine before the firmware update, why I now have to make changes to make the UI fit.  I made no changes in settings on my TV, setting on the WD TV Live, or in terms of cables.  The ONLY change I made was installing the firmware update.

mrbofus wrote:> What I don’t understand is if everything was fine before the firmware update, why I now have to make changes to make the UI fit.  I made no changes in settings on my TV, setting on the WD TV Live, or in terms of cables.  The ONLY change I made was installing the firmware update.

You’re not using a custom theme, by chance, are you?

You’re right, doing an update shouldn’t have affected the display (and it seems like for most people, no such issue has been reported before after many months.)  At any rate, there’s no way in the UI to adjust the centering of the UI, so I can’t imagine how it happened in the first place.  

TonyPh12345 wrote:> You’re not using a custom theme, by chance, are you?> You’re right, doing an update shouldn’t have affected the display (and it seems like for most people, no such issue has been reported before after many months.)

Nope, no custom theme.  I wasn’t running one before the update and I didn’t apply one after the update.  And I did a reset to factory defaults too, so that would have eliminated any possible weirdness from that.

Yeah, it doesn’t seem like anyone else has reported this issue, which kinda suuuucks for me.  It’s not the end of the world, since at least the videos seem to play without anything cut off.  It’s just weird that only the UI is being cut off.  And that it only seems to be affecting me.  :confounded:

mrbofus wrote:

The weird part is when the box first turns on, the WD TV Live logo shows up in HD and centered.  But after a few seconds, the screen goes black and the logo comes back a little but fuzzy and off-center.

Ok, I just now caught this.   You say it starts up nice and clean with the first Splash screen, but the second one is fuzzy?

Even without the centering issue, That ain’t right.  :)  

Does your TV tell you the resolution of the signal it’s receiving (480i, 720p, 1080i, etc. etc)

The first splash screen will always be 720p or lower.   The second will be AFTER the HDMI negotiation is complete, and should always be the same or BETTER resolution than the first.

If it’s FUZZY, that makes me think the pixel timing isn’t right between your WDTV and your TV.

That takes you to Hardware troubleshooting.

Try hooking it up via the COMPOSITE (Red, White, Yellow cable included with the player).   Is it off centered there, too?

If so, replace the SMP.

If it centers fine on the composite video, then go back to HDMI, but:

Try a friend’s TV.

Try a different HDMI cable.

Try different HDMI ports on the TV or AVR.

etc. etc.

Also, on the off chance that the upgrade somehow corrupted an internal config (that’s not affected by resets) you can ROLL BACK a version and see what happens.

http://wdc.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/5860/

Downgrading the firmware didn’t fix it and re-upgrading the firmware didn’t fix it either.  The weird thing is that when I went to the web page you linked to and downloaded the 1.15.10 firmware, on the TV, it showed that it was version 3.15.10.  So I downloaded the file again, and same thing.  So I went ahead and did the downgrade and afterwards it showed 1.15.10.  Weird.

Anyways, I don’t have the composite cables that came with the player anymore, so I’ll just have to try a different HDMI cable and a different TV too.  I’ll report back once I’m able to do that. 

Thank you for all the suggestions!

The weird version thing is normal, that’s how it tricks the WD into loading OLDER firmware. It makes it think it’s actually newer.

TonyPh12345 wrote:
The weird version thing is normal, that’s how it tricks the WD into loading OLDER firmware. It makes it think it’s actually newer.

Oh, ok; that makes sense in retrospect!  Kind of a neat way to do that.  They should make a note of that on their web page though, just to make things clear for people.  Unless they already did and I missed it.  =)